Our Country, Australia

The grade four students are currently learning about our country, Australia.

Soon, we will be focussing on Oceans as our inquiry theme, but we are first refreshing ourselves with knowledge about our wonderful country.

To begin the topic, students had to draw Australia and label as many states, capital cities and towns as they could. They couldn’t look at any maps or displays, it was all done from memory. It was interesting to see what different students know about Australia.

P1070804

P1070808

Students were then given a map to label the states, territories and capital cities.

P1070803

Australia is in the southern hemisphere and it has a population of approximately 23,404,200. There are six states and two territories in Australia and the country is surrounded by ocean.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Australia_states_named.png?uselang=en-gb

What facts do you know about Australia?

Can you research a fact about Australia and write it in your comment? Remember not to copy and paste straight from websites. Write your fact in your own words.

22 thoughts on “Our Country, Australia

1. Dear miss Jordan,
    I have really enjoyed making the maps about Australia.

these are some of the facks I know about Australia, Australia is known for down under which is the nick nick name for Australia. Weston Australia is the biggest place in Australia.

I have been to Queensland, Perth, Weston Australia and Sydney

Cant wait to see you tomorrow Summer!

• Hi SUMMER,

What great facts about Australia!

The places I have been to in Australia are:
      Tasmania
      Queensland
      New South Wales
      South Australia
      Darwin Airport!

Where do you wish to go next in Australia?

Kind Regards and Great Work,
      ELLA.

• Dear Ella,
        Thank you for leaving me a comment. One day I would
        like to go Exmouth, witch is in Weston Austria, to swim with the whale sharks!
        I loved your comment about Australia :}
        See you at school today! P.S have a great day Summer!
        Where would you like to go?

• Hi Ella,
        You are so lucky to be able to go to all of those places. I really want to go to Tasmania, and in the winter holidays we might be going to New South Wales.

I love how you always do neat writing in every writing subject you do.

Where do you want to go next in Australia????

Your AWESOME Ella,

• Hi Caitlin,
          Thanks for the fantastic reply and what a great comment.

Next, I would like to go to Kakudu or to Ayres Rock. I like learning about the plants and animals(flora and fauna) at school and I would like to see them. Another place I would like to go to is the Great Australian Bite. I would like to tell you heaps more places I would like to go but I’m sure the list would be VERY long and it would take ages!

Some questions I would like to know are:
          Have you been anywhere in Australia?
          Do you want to go to any National Parks?

Looking forward to learning more about Australia,
          Ella

2. Dear everyone,

Some facts that I have researched and then put into my own sentences are:
    Australia has over 50,000 kilometres of coastline.
    The Great Ocean Road winds it’s way along Victoria for more than 200 kilometres.
    Kakadu is home to lots of beautiful nature and animals.

Got 2 Gallop,
    Ella

• Dear Ella,
      Where is Kakadu? It sounds like a beautiful place. I know a place in New South Wales called Merimbula. There are loads of beaches and storms of fun!

I love the Great Ocean Road. They have the greatest ever on it. Also, the house on a pole is so eye-catching and interesting. The first time I saw it was an amazing experience.
      Your friend
      Daisy

3. Hi Ella,

There some great comments that you found and put into you’re own words.these are some of the facts that I found and put into my own words.

Australia is the 6th largest country by the area of it. It is estimated that humans have lived in Australia for about 45,000 years.

My favourite fact about Australia is that It has over 750 different reptile species, more than any other country in the whole I entire world.

Got to find out more information about Australia,
    Bebe

An interesting fact about Australia is that people from other countries
    call Australia the island continent.

In Australia I have been to Darwin, Queensland and Sydney.

In Darwin I went on a boat and a saw the jumping crocodiles.

What parts of Australia?

kindly,
    Nell

5. Dear 4A and 4B,

The class blog is looking fantastic! Well done to all the people who are leaving quality comments, it is so wonderful to see!

The activity where you had to remember all the states and draw them on a map of Australia is something that I did last year at University. Isn’t it interesting when you look at the real map to see all the things your got right and and also the things you forgot?

When I finished secondary school I took a year off to travel around Australia in a 4WD, we didn’t get right around because there was so much to see and do but we did make it too the most northern point (the highest point on the map) in Cape York QLD. We caught some amazing fish on the tip of Australia. I will have to show you some photos of what it looks like up there!

Can’t wait to see some of the work you’ll be doing when you start looking at oceans!

Hope your all well!

Looking forward to seeing you all soon,

Miss Campbell

• Dear Miss Campbell,
      Thank you for leaving a comment on the blog!
      It sounds like you had a great trip, I cant wait to hear more! What type of fish did you catch?

When we did the maps we first had to write and draw a map, we also had to think were all the cities and capital cities are.
      Cant wait to see you next term best wishes Summer in 4A:}

• Hi Miss Campbell,
      I didn’t get a chance to say good bye to you on the last day.You must of traveled far I wouldn’t be able to travel that far, but I would like to go up there but I don’t think I will be able to what is your favourite place in Australia?mine is Queensland .
      It must of been so hard to do the map of Australia I only got a few right.
      When will you come back and what University do you go to?You are a great student teacher,I was so happy to have you in our class and to help all of us.
      Best regards,
      Sienna

• Hello Sienna,

I also think Miss Campbell went a very , very long way! I also think I would not get that far because I would get sick of being in a car for that long.

My favourite place in Australia is Hamilton Island. It gets hotter than QueensLand!

I thought the map was really hard ! Did you think it was hard? I hope Miss Campbell has a great time university !

Have fun learning about Australia,
        Eevie

It has been a while since I have last talked to you. I am missing you very much and I am sure your new students will soon when they move up a level.

I have been enjoying grade 5 and have improved at so many things. Writing is also good because we get to do our writer’s notebook.

Every time Mrs de Vries says we are going to do some work on our Writer’s Notebook Jess gets very excited and runs straight for her table to do it.

I sit next to a new kid Mason and he is very nice, quiet and he gets his work done alright. Not just a little bit but he is always doing more than expected.

Australia is a great topic to learn about and even better because we live inside the amazing world there is to it.

I love living where I do although I wouldn’t mind moving to QLD when I am older.

So now I am going to answer the questions you have asked and shall take some of my time up to try and find a fact about Australia and put it in my own words.

HERE ARE THE ANSWERS TO YOUR QUESTIONS:

What facts do you know about Australia?

I know that Australia has some of the most inspiring creatures.

We are known for a lot of things like: Vegemite, Animals, BBQ’s etc.

Can you research a fact about Australia and write it in your comment?

Yes!

It is the 6th largest country in the world. The square kilometers in it are around 7.6 million.

We have the world’s three largest oceans.

Well that is all for now because I don’t want to give very much away even though I think I have.

Thanks for your time to listen and enjoy the rest of the year with Miss Jordan guys! She is the best teacher I have ever had. Not just trying to be nice she actually has been so enjoy her and look after her! 😛

Got 2 Gallop,
    Liv 😆 😉 😎

• Dear Liv,

Great to hear from you again!

We are starting Writer’s Notebook in our class next week too. The students at Barwon Heads have been doing it for a while and they seem to enjoy it as much as you and Jess do! The collages on the front of their Writer’s Notebooks look great. I’m sure yours does too!

We are enjoying learning about Australia. This week we used an app on our iPads to create presentations with facts about Australia.

Thanks for your terrific information about Australia! Queensland is a fun place to visit. We’re lucky .to have such a variety of holiday destinations in our country.

Thanks for your quality comment! 🙂

Until next time,
      Miss Jordan

7. Hello 4B,

I found your post about Australia interesting. A number of times I have written posts about Australia, its geography and its animals. I thought I would share some links if you are interested.

You will see a number of photos on the posts. Most of them have the following message under them…
    “Schools and students have permission to use this graphic for non-commercial, educational purposes.”
    This means I have given you permission to use those photos for school use so you are able to use the photos with the message in projects or presentations.

As your blog comments doesn’t allow me to share a number of links, I wrote a short post so I could share some links I hope are helpful to your studies. Here is the link…

http://rossmannellcomments.edublogs.org/2014/03/11/some-links-for-a-class-looking-at-australia-the-worlds-oceans/

We have so many interesting things to learn about in our world. Being an island continent, the sea is an important feature of our geography. We have contact with three of the worlds oceans, Pacific, Indian, and Southern, as well as the Tasman Sea, Timor Sea, Coral Sea and Arafura Sea.

I think you are going to discover interesting information in your studies of the world around us. 🙂

Ross Mannell
    Teacher (retired), N.S.W., Australia

• Dear Ross,

I am glad that you found this post interesting ! I found the work very hard, as there was know maps or information on Australia . I will be sure to look at the links!

I can not wait to learn about Australia but already I know about it’s history. You know a lot about Australia!

I love learning about Australia ( even know some of it is sometimes hard to understand , especially history) !

Keep in touch,
      Eevie

• Hello Eevie,

Learning is something we should all keep doing throughout our lives. It’s one of those things about life that can be unusual. To me, it has always seemed the more I learn, the more I realise how little I know. I learn something knew and, in doing so, usually find something else I can learn.

I know history can sometimes be hard because we weren’t there but we can use our imaginations as we learn to place ourselves in history. At the moment, I am going through old 35mm slides and negatives (old photo film) and scanning them onto the computer. Looking at them is like looking back into history except, having taken the photos, I was there. I also have photos taken before I was born. They help me know people from the past.

Your comment interested me because I think of photos as windows to the past. If you are interested, I have written a new post showing sone of the old photos I have on my computer and I share a little information about them…

http://rossmannellcomments.edublogs.org/2014/03/12/windows-into-history-for-eevie/

History might be a little hard to understand at times because you weren’t there but there are ways of helping history come alive. 🙂

Ross Mannell
      Teacher (retired), N.S.W., Australia

• Dear Ross,

Thank you for replying to me( I also left a comment on our blog!)! I really like learning about Australia but I some times find its history a bit more interesting.

Their was a book that helped me learn about the first fleet which helped me under stand it a bit more because it had animated pictures .

Thank you for leaving the pictures for me! I found a lot of them very interesting and I loved a lot of them! I find learning about Australia very interesting!

Keep in touch,
        Eevie

8. Hi Summer,
    It is great to hear wear you have been in Australia, I have been to lots of places in Australia because I love camping!

Here are some places I have been:
    Tasmania
    Darwin
    New South Wales
    South Australia
    Fraser Island
    Kangaroo island
    And much, much more!
    Where would you like to go when you are older?

See you tomorrow
    Maeve