Writer’s Notebooks

Every student at Barwon Heads Primary School has a Writer’s Notebook.

A Writer’s Notebook is a tool that is used to help students develop their writing skills. We are currently working on writing personal narratives. A personal narrative is a written text about a personal experience, opinion or reflection.

Last term, all 4A and 4B students decorated their Writer’s Notebooks at home so they represent the students’ individuality. They look fantastic!

Here are some of our Writer’s Notebooks…

P1070986

Here’s how our Writer’s Notebooks work:

1. We generate ideas for writing on an Ideas Page. Ideas can be recorded at any opportunity.

2. We write short entries in our Writer’s Notebook to expand on our ideas.

3. We read through their entries and select one entry to draft.

4. We draft our personal narrative in our draft books. We capture the essence of the text from the entry but the draft is more detailed. It also zooms in on the key idea.

5. We revise our draft by making changes to the content to improve the writing. This stage is all about working on the craft of writing. We can draft as few or many times as necessary to achieve the best possible draft.

6. We edit the final draft by checking the punctuation, grammar, spelling and ensuring it makes sense.

7. We publish the draft to form the completed personal narrative.

P1070982

Throughout the writing process, we will also focus on learning different writing traits and strategies that help bring our writing to life.

We are currently working at stage four and five. Very soon we will have our first published personal narrative! Throughout the year we will focus on different text types in our Writer’s Notebooks. We look forward to publishing many pieces of writing!

P1070984

***

It is great to see everyone thinking about their writing and working towards achieving their personal best! We are writers in 4A and 4B!

What do you enjoy about Writer’s Notebook?

How has the Writer’s Notebook improved your writing?

What writing skills do you want to improve at?

21 thoughts on “Writer’s Notebooks

1. Dear Miss Jordan, 4A and 4B,
    All year so far I have really enjoyed doing writers notebook. I have also enjoyed Julie coming and doing writers notebook with us. She has done a lot of very helpful thing to help us write better.

It took a lot of time for me to do my cover my WN. I had to do a lot of sorting out.

Chat soon
    Caitlin

• Dear Caitlin,

I think writers notebook has been really fun! Even know it has changed from last year, it’s still exciting!

Julie has done a great job teaching us all about writers notebook! She is really helpful! I think she is a great writer and will help us get really good at writing!

I enjoyed making our writers notebook covers! I also had to do lots sorting out, because I had one side words and the other side had rainbow colours .

See you soon,
      Eevie 😉

• Dear Eevie,
        I think writers notebook has been
        great! I like how it has changed
        from last year to this year anyway.

I think Julie has helped us alote
        in making are writing better.
        I agree Julie has done a good
        job teaching us.

I also really injoyed making are
        Writers notebook covers.

Got to hop
        Jassie

• Dear Jassie,

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I think last years writers notebook was fun , but we didn’t have Julie to help us.

Julie has been a massive help! I think she has helped me with my writing a lot! How had she help you?

Eevie 😉

• Dear Eevie
            I am loving writers
            notebook especially drafting are you liking it
            Your cousin
            Eli

• Dear Eevie

I also love writers notebook. I really want to start to put some artagraghs in our books!
        We are so lucky to have Juily this year. Doing the drafts are really fun what do you think?

• Dear Cooper,

Thank you for replying to me! I thnk writers notebook is a fun and great way to write! I also think I have to put more paragraphs in my writing.

Julie has been really helpful! I think her lessons are fun and help me to make my writing more improved.

I think the drafts are a fun thing to after writing a entry! I think I need to put more describing words in my drafts. What do you have to work on in your drafts ?

See you soon,
          Eevie 😉

2. Hi 4B and 4A,

I love doing Writer’s Notebook because you can write about anything you would like to. It is also in a book like no other.

My favorite piece of writing that if did was from the Taylor swift concert! That was the one I chose to draft. But I am still working on it.

Yours Truly,
    Kennedy

3. Dear 4A and 4B,
    It is nice having Julie in are classroom, I have learnt lots, but still more to learn!

I injoy writing all about my family and any little funny, sad or happy moments in my writes notebook.

Yes, writes notebook has improved my writing. Now I tell the main points more in my writing.

I would like to improve on capturing the essence more. I also have trouble whith step 5.

Talk to you on the next comment!
    Emma.

4. Dear Miss Jordan, 4A and 4B,

I have learnt a lot about Writers Notebook.

I have enjoyed making the covers on our Writers notebook.

I enjoy having Julie coming over and teaching what writers do. She is really helpful and I think that Julie is a great writer.

Chat soon

Alex.H

5. Dear 4A and 4B
    I like Writers Notebooks because it is full on writing. I like writing because, I don’t know why but it feels very good on my fingers, but arfter a wile it starts to hurt. Writers Notebook helps me with my writing because we write a lot with our drafts because our drafts are very long.

From SPENCER

6. Dear 4A and 4B,

Talk to you on the next comment!
    Emma.

• Dear Emma,

I also love having Juli coming in.
      I’ve learnt about lots of diffrent things like writing small and show me don’t tell me.

I like to write entries about sad, angry and scary moments in my life.

I also think that writers notebook has improved my writing. I would like to improve on show me don’t tell.

Please reply,
      Nell

Great post!
    At Leopold we have writers notebooks we have used them a lot!
    How is your new School miss Jordan?

Q: What do you enjoy about Writer’s Notebook?
    A: I like writing Narratives about My self and my friends.

A: Well I can now write in cursive better.

From Chloe ( from last year )

• Dear Chloe,

Thank you for leaving a comment on are class blog! This is my second year of doing writers notebook and I enjoy writing new entries. How long have you been doing writers notebook?

The thing I like doing in writers notebook is writing drafts afterwards or just writing things that have happened in my life. Do you like any more things about writers notebook ?

From ,
      Eevie

8. Dear Miss Jordan and Class,

We really enjoyed your post about your Writer’s Notebooks. Did you know we have Writer’s Notebooks too? We use our Writer’s Notebooks during Daily Five and Writer’s Workshop. We enjoy using them for stories, comments, posts, opinion writing, narrative writing, and informative writing. We also write about what we have read in class. We like our notebooks because we can write or draw about whatever topic we would like. Our writing improves because we edit to make our writing better. Writer’s Notebooks also improve our grammar and spelling.

We liked Eevie’s comment on our blog as well! Thank you for commenting back!

Your friends,
    Mrs. Keever’s Crew

http://www.keeverscrew.edublogs.org

• Dear Mrs Keever ,

Thank you for commenting on are class blog! I really like writers notebook and I love how we write entries about things that have happened to us.

I did not know that you do writers notebook . I sure you also love writing entries like us.

Right now we are writing a draft about are entrie. Do you write drafts about your entries?

I am glad you liked my comment 🙂 !

Eevie 😉

First I’m going to answer your questions.

1. I like writer’snotebook because I like to get my memory’s and feelings onto the page.
    2.Writer’s notebook has improved my writing because it makes me think twice about my writing.
    3.I improve at my dersciptive writing and my report writing skills.

See you Monday,
    Ané

10. Hi 4A,4B and Miss Jordan

My favourite part of writers notebook would be publishing my piece of writing with Julie. I like to call it the “Coffee volcano…” It’s mainly about when the coffee got over boiled and exploded so I ran out the back door.

I have improved on my self narratives and learnt more about, Sizzling starts, Bold beginnings, Mighty middles and Exelent endings.

Got to go,
    Bebe