Our Melbourne Museum Excursion

As part of our First Contacts unit of work, the grade four students and teachers visited the Melbourne Museum.

We had an early start, as the museum is about an hour and a half away from our school.

Melbourne Museum route

This is how our day unfolded…

8.00am: The buses departed from school.

10.00am: We arrived at the Melbourne Museum and watched Australia – Land Before Time at the IMAX theatre.

10.45am: Snack.

11.00pm: We visited the Wild exhibition.

11.30am: We explored the rest of the museum in groups.

12.30pm: Lunch.

1.00pm: We visited the First Peoples exhibition.

2.00pm: We left the museum.

3.30pm: We arrived back at school.

Here are some photos of our day

***

What was your highlight of the day?

What was your favourite exhibition?

What did you learn?

Have you ever been to a museum or IMAX theatre before?

33 thoughts on “Our Melbourne Museum Excursion

1. Dear 4A and 4B,

I think the museum and the IMAX was great! I had a great day!

ANSWERS TO THE QUESTIONS:

Q. WHAT WAS YOUR HIGHLIGHT OF THE DAY?

I think my highlight of the day was watching a movie in the IMAX theatre. I really enjoyed watching the movie in the theatre. Did you?

Q. WHAT WAS YOUR FAVOURITE EXHIBIT?

A. I had a really fun time at the museum! I really liked the Olden Day exhibit . I liked the house with all the rooms outside and the horse Phar Lap . I find history really interesting!

I also loved the Wild exhibit . I loved all the interesting animals and all their models.

Q. HAVE YOU EVER BEEN TO A MUSEUM OR IMAX THEATRE BEFORE?

A. Yes I have been to a museum but I have never been to an IMAX theatre.

Eevie 😉

2. Hello Everyone,
    A big thank you to all the the teachers for, taking all the grade fours to the iMac museum excursion I think it was a great day.

Answers to the questions-
    My highlight of the day was going to see the movie about Austrila animals.
    My favorite exhibit was the Wild exhibit I loved all the interesting animals and all their models.
    I’ve never been there before
    I think that all the photos turned out great!

Kind regards Summer

3. Dear 4A and 4B,
    What an awesome exersion that was.

I dident really have a highlight of the day. I thought it was all fantastic.

My favirite exhibition would have to be the indigenes one.

I learnt that when a picture of a animal is on a totem, you cannot eat or
    Kill that animal. If a picture of a person is on there, they are a god.

I have been to the Melbourne Museum before but that was when I was really little.

Chat soon,
    Nelly

• Dear Nelly,
      I totally agree! That was one of the most fun excursions we have ever had!

My highlight would have to be either the IMAX or the Dynamic Earth part. I loved the beautiful crystals.

I learnt that wearing a possum skin was very special.

I have also been to the museum when I was little but I can’t remember anything.

Have a great weekend!
      From Caitlin

• Hi nelly!
      I really enjoyed reading your comment!

My highlight of the day was the IMAX movie.
      Hello James here I wish I could have gone to the IMAX but I was sick and had to stay home.

It sounds like everyone had a good time.

Peace to all

Hero and James

4. Dear Miss Jordan and Year 4 students,

It sounds like you had a very busy and productive day on the excursion.

I enjoyed looking through your slides and am going to try and use Google slides myself.

Can you please explain to me the advantages of using googleslides over other slide show applications?

Regards

Mr Parker

• Dear Mr Parker,

We did have a great day at the Melbourne Museum. There are so many learning opportunities for students.

I like using Google Slides because I can create the slideshow very easily in PowerPoint and upload it in my Google Drive to create the presentation. I think it’s a very effective and user friendly slideshow application.

Thanks for your comment,

Miss Jordan

5. Dear 4A and 4B,

I had fun at the Melbourne museum yesterday . My highlights about yesterday were, watching the film Australia Land before time at the IMAX theatre. The sound was sensational , and the screen was huge. I also enjoyed being on the little mini bus, going to and from Melbourne.
    I had a great time

6. Hi Miss Jordan

My favourite exhibition was the dinosaur room, with all the bones of the dinosaur. My favourite dinosaur was ankylosaurs ( the one with the big club on its tail).

At my old school in pleasant st primary in ballerat I went to the museum but we didn’t go in the theatre.

I was really surprise that I would be in the third largest theatre in the world

Best wishes

Mitchell

7. Looks like you all had a fun time at IMAX and especially the museum! My favourite animal to see would have been the big panda bear as I had a cuddly one when I was little!

• Hello Eliza,
      I really liked IMAX it was really fun!
      My favarite animal was the humming Bird because it looks so cute.
      Even though I didn’t have one when I was little
      Got to hop
      Jassie

8. Dear 4A and 4B
    I had a great day at had Melbourne Museum and at the IMAX.

My highlight of the day was the IMAX movie Australia – land before time. It had lots of interesting things in it.

My favourite exhibition was the first peoples. It had lots of Aboriginal things that were made a long time ago. It also had lots and lots of interesting facts.

I learnt lots of things especially in the first peoples area. I learnt lots about the tools they used to make things.

I have been to the Museum once but can not remember much from that visit.

Warm regards Anna

9. Hi 4A and B,
    Your excursion sounded awesome!

I’m so pleased you are all learning about our Indigenous Culture and history. It helps us to remember and respect our countrys first inhabitants. Well done to you all.

Q. HAVE YOU EVER BEEN TO THE MUSEUM BEFORE
    Yes I have

Bye
    Sonia ( Ella’s mum)

• Dear Sonia,
      The excursion was heaps of fun!

Q. WHAT DID YOU LEARN
      I learnt that if a animal is on a totem you can not harm or kill that animal or if a person is on the totem they are a god.

Thank you for putting a comment on are blog!
      Emma.

10. Hi 4A and 4B

My favourite part of yesterday’s excursion was the IMAX theatre because information they provided full of interesting facts.

I also enjoyed looking at the old bones, particularly the dinosaur bones.

Bye
    Billy

11. Hi 4A and 4B,

I loved going to the IMAX and Museum. It was so awesome. Espesially for my first time!

My favourite thing was 3D movie which was cool. It looked like you could actually reach out and things when you had the glasses on.

Chat soon,
    Kennedy

• Hi Kennedy,
      It was my first time going to IMAC but it was my second time going to the museum.

The 3-D screen actually did look like it was just there right in front of you as if you could reach out and touch the things in the screen.

Bye,
      Daisy

12. Dear 4 A and 4 B,

I had the best time yesterday at the Museum! I really enjoyed the dinosaur exhibition and seeing my favourite type of dinosaur… The TRex!
    I saw so many amazing animals from all around Australia and learnt about how they survive in the wild.

Got to go,
    Cooper

My favourite part of the day was probably the wild exhibition because I hadn’t seen some of those animals so close.

The wild exhibition also because the animals were so realistic. My favourite animal was probably the Red Panda.

I learnt that you could make clothes out of possum fur and skin.

I have been to the Museum and th IMAX with Mum,Taj,Flynn,Zali and Emma Grills.
    We watched a documentary on underwater animals. Zali hated it.

Warm Regards,
    Ané.

14. hi miss Jordan I have been to the Melbourne museum before to see the titanic exhibition with my dad we saw lots of fun we saw some bags from the ship and saw a documentary on it

See you soon max

15. Dear 4b and 4a,

I loved the whole day.I Especially liked the 3D room.

My favourite exhibition was the first peoples.

See ya,
    Nell

16. Hi Miss Jordan

Best wishes

Mitchell

17. Dear 4a and 4b

my favourite part of the day was the 3d room to because I liked how it looked like the things were coming towards you

got to leave
    will

18. Dear 4A and 4B,

It’s wonderful to see so many comments! It looks like you’re really enjoying the class blog.

I enjoyed reading about your Melbourne excursion. I’m sure you had a lot of fun.

I have only been to IMAX once. My husband and I saw a U2 concert. I found it to be quite a strange experience!

Miss Jordan and I used to take our grade twos to the Melbourne Museum to see the dinosaurs. There is so much to learn and see at the museum. I can’t wait to take my daughter, Novalie, when she is a little older.

There is lots to do in Melbourne. What other sorts of things do you like to do when visiting the capital of our state?

Hope to see you all soon!

Best wishes,
    Mrs Morris

• Hi Mrs Morris,

IMAX was awesome. We got to see Australia: Land Beyond Time. It was really good. I liked learning about all of the animals that are in Australia. I didn’t find the IMAX strange I found it Huge!

I like to visit lots of different things in the city. Like places I’ve never been to before and things like that.

I think it would be an exelllent opertunety for Novalie to go and see the IMAX screen when she is older. I bet you she will love it!

Chat soon,
      Kennedy

• Hi Kennedy,

Thanks for the lovely reply!

IMAX certainly is huge. That would have been an interesting film to learn more about Australia. I’m glad you think Novalie would like IMAX too. I look forward to taking her there one day.

See you soon,
        Mrs Morris

• Dear Mrs Morris,
      Thank you for writing a comment on are blog! The blog is much fun.

This was my second time going to IMAX and the Museum, but it is good to look over what you have seen.

The dinosaurs were cool to look at and touch. My one of my favourite part was touching dinosaur teeth.
      I like many more but I like going on trains.

Hope to write and talk to you again,
      Emma

• Hi Emma,

Thanks so much for writing back to me.

It is fun to go on the train to Melbourne. You’re lucky to have been to IMAX and the museum before.

I hope to see you soon,
        Mrs Morris

19. Hi 4A and 4B,
    I thought the IMAX and Melbourne Museum was really fun. My favourite part of the day was probably visiting the IMAX and watching a movie about Australia.

I also really liked the room with the insects and Spiders. The big Tarantulas were really disgusting. That was my least favourite part of the day.

The group I was in was with Miss Campbell. She is 4A’s student teacher. The 22nd of May was a great day.

What was your favourite part of the day?

Regards
    Mollie

20. Hello 4A and 4B,

How lovely it was to join your Class Friday morning for Education Week. I found it very interesting to see the exciting new ways you learn in 2014. When I went to school (in the olden days!), we learnt very differently.
    Georgie was excited to show me the maths game Land Grab. We had fun colouring our pieces of timestables land. I learnt a thing or two about doing my timestables revision!
    My favourite part of the morning was looking through all of the photos from the Melbourne Museum. You all looked like you had so much fun! I remember seeing Phar Lap at the Museum when I went on my primary school excursion.
    Well Georgie is giving me the wind up so I had better get moving.
    Have another great week with Miss Jordan!
    Cheers,
    Niki

21. Dear Niki,

I also had fun on education week!

My favourite activity was 99,199,499 or bust.
    My mum came and we came a tie in 199 or bust.

Got to go
    Cooper

22. Dear Niki,

I also had fun on education week!

Got to go
    Cooper