Education Week – Open Classroom

Last week was Education Week in Victorian schools.

To celebrate Education Week, parents were invited into the classrooms on Friday morning to participate in a shared learning activity with the children.

We had three maths games and a blog comment station set up for the session. It was great to see so many 4A and 4B parents enjoying the morning and participating enthusiastically in the activities.

Here are some photos of our special morning!

***

What was your favourite activity?

What did your mum or dad enjoy?

Can you describe the rules for one of the maths games we used?

23 thoughts on “Education Week – Open Classroom

1. Hello Miss Jordan and 4A and 4B,

The smiles in the photos show everyone had a wonderful time during your open classroom. It’s a wonderful time to share your achievements and interests with parents, carers and others. 🙂

Ross Mannell
    Teacher (retired), N.S.W., Australia

• Dear Ross Mannell,
      Thank for your fabulous coment!

Did you do open classroom at the old school you teached at?

By the way, HAPPY 2nd BIRTHDAY to your blog!

Good bye,
      Nelly 🙂

• Dear Ross,

It was great to see so many smiles on everybodys faces! It looked like every one had fun!

I think education week is great fun! It was really fun when my parents came in last year ( was sick this year) !

Eevie 😉

• Hello Ross,
      I liked all the mums and dads coming in
      even though my mum couldent make it.

We did really fun maths games my favourite was
      Land Grab you see who gets the most land by rolling a dice and colouring it in and write the sum inside it.

Got to hop
      Jassie

• Dear Nelly, Eevie and Jassie,

Many times over the years I had open classrooms for Education Week. For a few years I was the technology teacher so I would open the school’s computer lab. Open Days allow us to share our learning experiences with others.

Nelly: Thanks for the birthday wishes for my blog. 🙂
      Eevie: I was sorry to read you had been sick this year.
      Jassie: Land Grab seems to be fun. I enjoyed maths both as a student and teacher.

Ross Mannell
      Teacher (retired), N.S.W., Australia

• Dear Ross,

Thank you for leaving a comment for Nelly, Jassie and me! It is so good that you have had open classes for education week!

Was it fun being a technology teacher? Technology would be great to share with parents and family!

I really like doing education week! I think it is a great way to spend time with family. I have really enjoyed doing education week every year!

Thank you for leaving comments for all of us!

As a student did you do maths games in school? If you did what was your favourite game?

Eevie 😉

• Hello Eevie,

I first used computers when I was in university in the 1970s when I did a little programming. It wasn’t until 1981 before I started using them in classes. I was able to help another two schools start their computer journey and also was with a Computers in Education Group to help many schools when needed.

I liked the possibilities computers offered even back in the early days. I’ve now been using the internet for over 20 years and am now connected with the world. I still enjoy exploring new possibilities.

When I was in 4th Grade, we had only just stopped using pens we dipped in inkwells. Maths was from textbooks and my class had 37 students in a small room. The only technology we really had was a 16mm movie projector and 35mm slide projector when needed. There was no internet, computers, interactive whiteboards, mobile phones, videos or iPads back then.

I don’t remember any maths games but we were encouraged to complete a mechanical maths book where each page was covered in addition, subtraction, multiplication and division examples to solve. We didn’t have dollars and cents but pounds, shillings and pence. There weren’t kilometres, metres and centimetres. We used miles, feet and inches.

With my father and his brothers (my uncles) all being electricians, I grew up with the then technology. Electronics became a hobby in high school so this started my interest leading me into computers.

Technology has changed quickly and I seem to always be interested in new things to explore if I can afford them.

Ross Mannell
        Teacher (retired), N.S.W., Australia

• Dear Ross,

Thank you for leaving such a long comment for me! When you used computers what did you do on them?

It is great that you started using them in classes and helped two schools use computers !

What was it like with know internet ? Is it a lot different from now? If there was no internet what did you do?

Did you do money and measurement in your school years as lessons?

Eevie 😉

• Dear Eevie,

In the earliest days of using computers in a class there wasn’t very many software titles to select. Computers were slow and low powered. I did write some software games for the early computers, e.g. a treasure hunt grid where you selected square using D5 for column and row as an example.

When I first used the internet, it was slow and basic. Video, games, and even easy photo sharing was either not there or very simple. We mainly shared text. When I started using the internet in the early 1990s, I used a provider called Ozemail and still have an Ozemail email address. Internet cost $5 per hour. I paid for the internet so my class could use it. Before then I had used a free educational mail service called FrEdMail to send and receive email from schools in Australia and U.S.A. When starting using computers in class in 1981, the internet wasn’t available for the public so computers stood alone.

Just like you, we did measurement and money lessons but the sums were very different. There were 12 inches in a foot, 3 feet in a yard, and 1760 yards in a mile. For money, there were 12 pence in a shilling and 20 shillings in a pound. Can you imagine the maths we needed to know? Look at this money addition…
        £5/17/8 + £3/11/10 = £9/9/6
        that is 9 pounds, 9 shillings and 6 pence.
        By 1966, we had dollars and cents and were starting to change over to metric (metres, kilograms, litres)

I think what we have now is much easier to work out. 🙂

Ross Mannell

• Hi Ross,
      Thanks so much for all the effort you put into taking a post from another teachers blog and putting it into an extended comment on your blog! It’s such a great idea!

It’s great you even celebrate a birthday for your blog. That cake looks so delicious that I’m already hungry and it’s only 9:54 am. I’ve still got two hours until recess.

You have so much knowledge and being able to remember it all…well that’s amazing!

It was a great idea to have a competition and it was so much fun. I suggested a name which was Koorie but it didn’t get picked.

It’s another name for aboriginals. I tried to leave this comment on your blog but it didn’t work so I’m leaving it on our blog.

Good-Bye,
      Tilly

• Hello Tilly,

I wasn’t certain the cake was delicious at first as my friends int he photo didn’t touch their slices. They reminded me they didn’t really eat cake so I offered to have their pieces of cake for them. 🙂

I know many people use the name Koorie for the various Aboriginal language groups in south-eastern Australia so I understand why you suggested the name. It shows respect to the original people of this land.

Comments can be left on my blogs but, just as on your school blog, I have to approve any comment before it can appear. This is to make certain a student doesn’t accidentally give out any private details in a comment.

Keep blogging.
      Ross Mannell

2. Hi 4B and 4A,

WHAT AN AWESOME BLOG POST!

My favrite activity was “99 or bust” and “super simpleflying”.

My mum and dad didn’t come but it was great to see everyone having a great time!

Gotta go,
    Nelly.

• Dear Nelly ,

I also think this is a really good post! I hope you had a great day! Did you? It looked like you had a great day!

I also like super simplifying. I also liked the game land grab. Did you like land grab?

Eevie 😉

• Hi Nelly,

I found it really fun to play games with my mum!

My favourite game to play was land grab because I liked using my timetables to make land .

I also enjoyed playing 99 or bust because I liked adding to get to 99.

Chat soon,

Georgie

3. Dear 4A and 4B,

It looked liked you all had a really good and fun day! Even know I wasn’t at school on the day, it looked like you all had a great and fun time!

ANSWERS TO THE QUESTIONS:

Q. What was your favourite activity?

A. My favourite maths game ( when practicing ) was probably land grab or super simplifying.

Q. Can you explain the rules for one of the maths games we used?

A. On land grab you roll a dice twice. Then you multiply the two numbers and colour it in on the sheet in an array.

Eevie 😉

4. AWSOME BLOG POST!

My favourite game was land grab

My mum and little brother came and my little brother interrupted 99 or bust but I still managed to win… twice.

Mum loved it and so did Mackenzie

• We had a great time! Thanks for inviting me.
      I’m not sure if Eli might have had an extra turn when Kenny distracted me? (Just Kidding!!)

5. Hello 4a and 4b,

I loved having my mum hear.

ANWSERS TO THE QUESTIONS:

Q. What was your favourite activity?

A. My favourite activity I did with my mum was blogging and
    And grab.

Q. What did your mum and dad Injoy?

A. I think my mum injoyed super simplefiying.

Q. Can you explane the rules of one game?

A. In 99 or bust you have to try and get to 99 with out going over.

By
    Nell

6. Hi 4A and 4B

Answers to the Questions

Q#1. What was your favourite activity?
    My favourite activity was 99 or bust because it’s a game of luck and mystery because you don’t know what is going to happen or what you are going to roll on the dice. My Mum won once and I won once so it was a tie.

Q#2. What did your Mum and Dad enjoy?
    I think my Mum enjoyed everything, but I’m guessing that her favourite was 99 or bust because she was basically laughing most of the time and she won a game as well.

Q#3. Can you describe one of the rules of the maths games we used?
    Well I can really remember that in 99 or bust that you weren’t allowed to go over 99 otherwise you would be out of the game.

From Will in 4B

7. Hello 4A and 4B,
    I really enjoyed the hour! What was your highlight out of the activities?

Answers to the questions:
    What was your favourite activity?
    My favourite activity was Super Simplifying because there was lots of great communication and awesome skills involved.

What did your Mum or Dad enjoy?
    I think my Mum enjoyed Super Simplifying because we were both participating in the activity and also because she kept on smiling at me.

Can you describe the rules of a game?
    The rules of Super Simplifying are:
    1. You pick out two cards from the bag.
    2. You make the proper fraction with the two numbers.
    3. If possible, you simplify the fraction.
    4. If it is not possible to simplify, you put the cards back into the bag.
    5. Your partner has their turn.
    6. At the end, the person with the most amount of cards, wins.

Chat soon,
    Daisy

8. Hi Everyone,

I have really enjoyed having education week over the past five years I have been at school. It’s one of my highlights of the year!

ANSWERS TO THE QUESTIONS

Q#1 WHAT WAS YOUR FAVOURITE ACTIVITY
    My favourite activity was land grab. I like land grab because it helps with your times tables. Times tables are important to me.

Q#2 WHAT ACTIVITY DUD YOUR MUM OR DAD ENJOY
    This year only my mum came. Mum told me that she liked 99 or bust. She didn’t tell me why though.

Chat Soon,
    Ella

9. Hi Ms Jordan,

Its me Lachlan from lps i just wanted to say hi and to say I miss you not being at this school just having lunch bye.

10. Hi everyone

I had a great day on Friday when all the parents came in. My mum or dad didn’t come in because the were working. Even though my mum was next door to my classroom teaching I still had a great time.

My favourite activity was land grab and going on the blog.

Got to go
    Anna