Stepping Up Our Blog Comments

Recently, Miss Jordan read a post about improving the quality of blog comments on Mrs Yollis’s class blog.

Titled, “Step-up to Commenting”, this terrific post introduced a new structure to writing paragraphs in a blog comment. This process can also be used for other genres of writing too!

To enhance the quality of blog comments, Mrs Yollis uses a chart similar to the one below to encourage her students to add more detail and information to their writing.

Step up to commenting 2

***

Here is an example of a blog comment using the structure and colour code as described above.

Comment example

***

Today during our literacy session, 4A and 4B wrote blog comments using this structure. They first had to draft their comment in their writing book, underlining the sentences using the colour code to ensure they had followed the structure correctly.

Here are two examples. Click on the images to view them in full size.

P1080319

P1080321

Students then typed and submitted their blog comments on their iPads. It was great to see many quality comments being written during the session!

***

As it is the last week of term two, the question students had to answer in their blog comment was:

What have you enjoyed about semester one?

***

Thank you to Mrs Yollis for inspiring us to improve the quality of our blog comments!

30 thoughts on “Stepping Up Our Blog Comments

1. Dear 4A and 4B,

I think semester one has been really exciting and has been really fun!

This semester I have enjoyed leaving comments on the blog. I like it because I enjoy having conversations with people about whats happening in the classroom. I also think blogging is great because it helps me with my writing and comprehension skills.

This semester I have also enjoyed the iPad program. I have liked using apps such as popplet and pages. I have also enjoyed using apps for presentations.

What is your favourite school app on your iPad?

This has been a great semester!

Bye,
    Eevie 😉

2. Hi 4A and 4B,
    This semester has been filled with lots of fun experiences and laughs.

Starting writers notebook has been definitely been one of my major highlights. It helps express my ideas and lets me show people how I write. We have written small snippets of things that have happened to us, we then turn the writing into a which helps us to elaborate.

Blogging has really changed what I do at home and at school. Going on the blog in reading groups has clearly improved my commenting on the blog. From little comments to quality comments you can see that everyone in 4A and 4B have learnt something from Miss Jordan.

Do you have a favourite post that has been on the blog?
    What do you like to write about?

Best wishes,
    Ella 🙂

3. Hi 4A and 4B,

Semester One has been full of some awesome highlights!

Getting the iPads was an exciting process!
    Getting iPads of our own was excellent. It was like a dream come true for most of us! It has helped us a lot with our learning.

Meeting Eucy the Koala was a wonderful experience!
    Meeting Eucy was a magnificent sight! He is very well loved by 4A and 4B. Leo the lion also has a new friend!

What have you enjoyed about the iPad Progam?

I am looking forward to a great rest of the year in Semester Two!

Best Wishes,
    Kennedy 😉

4. Dear 4A and 4B,

I think the idea from Mrs Yollis’s students for writing better blog comments was a great idea.

This semester I really enjoyed the swimming program. It was great to learn how to swim and survive in the water. It was also just fun to get in the water and learn right from wrong.

The iPad program was good to learn more about cybor safety. The iPads are good for more then just cybor safety too. The iPad taught me more about what to do online.

What do you like about the iPads?

I have loved this semester and hope next semester is even better!

From your blogging buddy,

Ané

5. Dear 4A and 4B

I had a lot of fun this semester.

I had heaps of fun on the iPads. At the start of the year the grade 4’s earnt a huge privilege of having there own iPad. We were abele to
    Do a heaps of learning on them.

I loved the exergen to the Melbourne museum. It was a long trip to get there but it was worth it. My favourite bit was the rocks and minalels exabision.

I can’t wait for term three.

Your mate
    Eli

• And you got to take Dad on the excursion!!
      I am so proud of all you’ve done so far this year and am really impressed with the whole class and their efforts with the garden!

6. Dear 4A and 4B

I had a lot of fun this semester.

Do a heaps of learning on them.

I can’t wait for term three.

Eli

7. Dear 4A and 4B,
    I have had lots of highlights in the past 2 terms.

One of my most favourite activetys we have done was vertical addition and vertical subtraction. Vertical addition has helped me to use bigger numbers in my equations. Vertical subtraction has helped me to learn lots because at the start of the year I had no idea that it existed but now I do.

The iPad program has been a great expereance with my learning. I have learnt lots while using the iPad because I had never had an iPad
    before. I enjoy using all the different apps and learning about them. At home I use the iPad to help me with the Words Their Way program.

What apps do you like to use on the iPads?
    Did you like vertical addition and subtraction?

I have enjoyed lots of activetys that we have done in semester one.

Chat soon,
    Anna

8. Hello 4B and 4A,
    This semester has been absolutely awesome, almost every single activity has been a highlight and we’ve done a lot of actives.

One of my favourite programs this semester has been the IPad program. Because of the IPad program we have been able to blog and other fun Keynote activities.

Another highlight was Writers Work Shop. Writers Work Shop improved my writing, editing, checking and publishing. Do that has rapidly improved my writing.

Do you have anything to add?

I loved this semester, but I think next semester will be better.

9. Dear 4A and 4B,
    I have had a lot of highlights in semester one.

One of my favourite things we have done was Cross Country. I have done Cross Country every year since I was in prep. This year I came fifth so I made it into districts. I was proud of everyone who had a go.

I have loved going to the Melbourne museum. I have never been to the IMAX before, but I have been to the Melbourne museum. At the IMAX we saw a film about the Australian animals. The reason why we went there was because on Inquiry we were learning about the First people.

What facts did you find out in the First People?

I truly believe semester one was the best semester so far.

Chat soon,
    Sienna

10. Dear 4A and 4B,

This first semester has been such fun and filled with heaps of exciting things!

Going to P.E has been awesome! Doing gymnastics in the gym has been a wonderful time to jump and bounce around on the trampoline. Getting to do cartwheels on the balance beam has also been very exciting!

Going to IMAX and the Melbourne Museum has been an experience I will never forget. Watching the movie about Australia at IMAX had heaps of facts to hear about and watching th animals in their hideouts was amazing! In the First Peoples exhibition at the Melbourne Museum there was tools to see that the aborigines used. You could even hear how to speak animals in an aboriginal language!

Did you enjoy reading facts about at the Melbourne Museum?

I have loved the first semester and I can’t wait until term three!

Best wishes,
    Georgie

11. Dear 4A and 4B

There have been so much great highlights this semester that I have enjoyed

The iPad program has been a fun thing that has happened. It has been a big push for me to be responsible for my iPad. The iPads have also been a great learning tool in the class room, to get info on the web for some learning tasks

I have also enjoyed going to the Melbourne museum and IMAX . It was great I learnt a lot of new things and saw lots of interesting artefacts in the gallery.

Q: what did you like about the iPad program
    I wonder what will happen in semester two I can’t wait

Warm wishes
    Max

12. Dear 4A and 4B,

Semester one has been a blast!

One of my top highlights has been cross country. We had to do a 2K run around village park. I found it quite challenging but I love to challenge my self.

I also enjoyed having Miss Jordan, Miss Curtin and Mrs Morris teaching us. They are very creative and friendly. They come up with some great tasks. Eg: Miss Jordan came up with the reading journal. Mrs Morris came up with the colour poems and Miss Curtin with the fab five flip page.

What did you enjoy about cross country?

I can’t wait for semester two!

Gotta go,
    Nelly.

• Dear Nelly,

Thank you so much for mentioning me in your comment.

I have really enjoyed teaching 4A and 4B too. Miss Jordan and Miss Curtain are so kind and helpful to work with. I also love the fact that the students are so well behaved, friendly and eager to learn. I hope I can spend many more days in 4A and 4B next semester!

You mentioned that you enjoyed cross country. I enjoy running too. Running two kilometres is a great effort for someone your age. You should be proud. Keep challenging yourself! I am just about to head outside for a run now.

I look forward to seeing you soon.

Best wishes,
      Mrs Morris

• Hi Mrs Morris,

Thank you so much for replying to me!

I have really enjoyed having you to teach us! You have a lot of great ideas.

I loved the colour poems. I think all the other students did to. I also love learning about the solstices and equinox.

See you soon,
        Nelly.

13. Dear 4A and 4B
    Semester 1 has had some fantastic highlights so far they all have been great.

Cross county has been a wonderful event that has happened this year.I’d done cross country last year but this year it was way better than last year.I liked running and I was so close to getting into distreces I came 9th but I would’ve come 10th because Mitchell was right bihind me.

I really enjoyed the iPad program.I like using my iPad for many things like research,presintations,looking up things,taking pictures and a lot more.i’m glad the teachers are letting us use our iPads for the parent teacher interviews.

What was your highlight of cross country

What was your favorite part of the iPad program

I truly believe that this has been the best semester so far.

Can’t wait till term 3
    From Indigo

14. Dear 4A and 4B,
    I have had a great time in grade four this semester.

I have enjoyed p.e. In p.e we are are playing tag rugby and tee ball. My favorite in p.e is tag rugby.

I have really enjoyed L.o.t.e. In l.o.t.e I really enjoyed doing the ID cards with bu wall (our Indonesian teacher). I have another thing I have enjoyed I have enjoyed doing the winning picture
    What have you enjoyed in p.e?
    I have really enjoyed semester one.
    Chat soon,
    Lily

15. Hello 4A and 4B,

There’s been so many things this year that I can’t keep up.

One of my favourite things this semester has been iPads. Since we first got them, the grade fours have learnt a lot of knew skills. I have so much fun discovering knew apps on the iPads.

Another thing I have enjoyed this semester is Writers Notebook.
    I have improved a lot between this year and last year. I’m sure I will keep on progressing for the years to come.

Have you improved in your writers notebook skills?

I have really enjoyed this semester and as you probably know it’s hard to narrow it down.

Bye,
    Nell

16. Hi 4A and 4B

I recon Semester 1 has been great and really exciting, Ioved the Melbourne Museum and IMAX

This Semester I have really enjoyed doing grade 4 sport, Run across is my favourite outdoor game to play. I like Run Across because I love running and dodging, here is how you play 3 people are it, and they wear tags on them, you need to try and run to the other side to keep going but if you get tagged you need to stand still but try to tag the other players with your arms. My other favourite game to play in grade 4 sport is Soccer. Soccer is my absolute favourite game to play in the Whole Wide World, I have lot’s of other sports I really like such as: Surfing and Running but Soccer is my definite favourite.

This Semester I also really loved the Soccer Clinic with Foddi.
    As I said I love Soccer so this was obviously one of my many highlights for Semester 1. It was extremely fun even though my team lost.

I really enjoyed the Soccer Clinic and grade 4 sport, Did You?
    Hope you did.

By Will in 4B

17. Dear 4A and 4B,
    I really like the idea of teaching us how to write a quality comment.

I have thouroughly enjoyed using my Writers Notebook for many aspects. I like the Writers Notebook because it helped me write big about small litlle experiences. It also helped me use more ‘Show Me Don’t Tell Me’ in my writing.

IMAX was an incredible experience! I loved the excursion and the powerful scenes. The noise was tremendous! The secenses were very eye-catching.

What would you like to learn more about in Semester Two?

I can’t wait until Semester Two!
    Chat Soon,
    Daisy

18. Hi 4A and 4B

Hope you did.

By Will who is in 4B

19. Dear 4A and 4B,

Semester one has been super SPECTACULAR and one that I’ll never forget!

First of all, the IMAX was my favourite thing all semester. When you enter you can easily hear the booming noise of the music and the voices. I recomend you go there and experience better!

I also really loved doing my class presentation. I enjoy doing class presentations so when Miss Jordan told us we were going to do this I was super excited! I am always us for a good presentation!

The first semester was definatly one to remember!

HAPPY DAYS!

20. Hello Bloggers,

This semester has been full of stupendous ideas and enjoyable activities.

The new writers notebook program has been an interesting experience.
    As I am new to the school the writers notebook is very different for me, this year. It is a six step writing process. You get an idea from your ideas page, expand on it as much as you want, then zoom in on an idea in your entry and expand only on that. Then you have to improve that, edit and publish.

Having Miss Jordan as a teacher has also been a great opportunity. She has been full of entertainment and engaging subjects. Her blog was a majestic thought and she puts a great amount of effort into her wonderful posts. My teacher is a spectacular person and I am happy to have her this year as a teacher.

My semester has been great!

Farewell Tilly.

21. Dear Miss Jordan,4A and 4B,

I really found term two fun and exciting.

One of my favourite highlights would have to be the Melbourn Museum.The IMAX was the best of all andeven better it was in 3D showing all the Australian animals.

Anothor great highlight would probably be metting my fantastic teacher Miss Jordan. Miss Jordan is such a great teacher when we mett i was very excited to spend more time with Miss Jordan to know her well.

What was your reaction when you meet one of your teachers?

This semester was a blast i cant wait for term three

22. Dear 4A and 4B,

I have really enjoyed leaning at my new school, semester one has been a great start to the new school.

I have really enjoyed the iPad program.
    The iPad program has been an exiting start to my new school. The day I got my iPad I was filled with excitement, it was one of my favroutie days of semester one. I fell so luky to have an iPad of my own.

Blogging has been a reel change.
    When Miss Jordan first introduced blogging I did’t no what a blog was. The first time I wrote a blog comment it wasn’t that good but I have improved a lot.

How have you improved writing a blog comment?

I have really enjoyed the iPad program and leaning how to blog, I hope you do too!

Chat soon,

ABBY 😉

23. Dear 4A and 4B,

I have realy enjoyed this semester of grade 4.

I enjoyed the IMAX museum Excursion in Melbourne. The first contacts Inquiry topic and the first peoples part in the museum. The little clip about the hole of Australia.

The iPad program has been a blast. We where a bit lucky to get them, first it was only the grade 56s. I was so exited when I got my own iPad.

That was the best semester ever.

That’s the end,
    Spencer

24. Dear 4A and 4B,

I have enjoyed lots of things about this Semester.

I have really liked doing the IPad program.
    This is because I think that it has helped me witn my learning alot. To be pacific it has helped me with my technology skills and my typing skills.

The Excursion to the Melbourne museum amazing.
    The museum was an amazing experience and I am looking forward to going again. I liked watching the film on the IMAX. The IMAX is a huge screen like at the movies but bigger.

Have fun blogging blogers
    over and out
    Leo

25. Dear 4A and 4B,
    Semester one has been great fun.

I have realy enjoyed the garden bed activity. Some of the people in my group are, Tilly, Ava, Jasmine.G, Caitlin.W, Daisy, myself and sometimes Molly. B. In our garden bed we have only grown vegtables, the vegtables will soon be ready to take home, if we keep on watering them.

Going to the Melbourne museum was also one of my highlights. Inside the museum there was lots of interesting information to read and learn about. The IMax film on Australian animals was queite interesting and you could really take in alot.

I have thoughrely enjoyed semester one and am looking forward to term three.

Best wishes,
    Bebe;)

• Dear Ella,

Thank you for commenting on the class blog!

As you can see, in class we were learning about improving are blog comments. I think it has helped me write more quality blog comments and I look farword to use it in every blog comment. I thought the lesson was really enjoyable and I learnt a lot of new things.

Bye,
      Eevie 😉