Understanding Apostrophes

In 4A and 4B we have been learning about apostrophes.

An apostrophe is a type of punctuation.

apostrophe

On a keyboard, you can usually find an apostrophe to the left of the enter key.

Picture1

***

Apostrophes can be confusing. Here are some tips that might help.

Thank you to Mrs Morris for creating this slideshow!

***

Unfortunately, there are many people who don’t know about how to use apostrophes correctly. A lot of people think that any word that ends with an s needs an apostrophe. Remember, plurals do not need an apostrophe.

What is wrong with this picture?

Image: ‘Sofia’s Pizza’s Calzoni’s Kebab’s Burger’s Pakora’s’
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34427470616@N01/2392092122
Found on flickrcc.net

Did our tips help you learn about apostrophes?

What is wrong with the picture? Have you seen any businesses use apostrophes incorrectly before?

Can you make up a sentence that has an apostrophe before an s, after an s and in a contraction?

7 thoughts on “Understanding Apostrophes

1. Dear 4A and 4B,

I really enjoyed teaching you about apostrophes yesterday with Miss Jordan. It can be tricky to remember the rules but with a little bit of practice, you will become very confident at using apostrophes. It’s a good idea to try to notice where the author places apostrophes when you’re reading too.

Unfortunately, I have seen a LOT of businesses use apostrophes incorrectly.

Did you have a good day today? I’m sure you learnt many more fabulous things with your teachers.

Best wishes,
    Mrs Morris

• Hi Mrs Morris,

I am pretty confident with apostrophes but I think I will still need a little bit more work.

I have to seen a lot of business where they have used apostrophes wrong.

I had a really good day to day but I wish you were there.

Hope I see you soon,
      Nell

• Dear Mrs Morris,

I really enjoyed learning more about apostrophes with Miss Jordan and you!

Your tips helped me with new things that I didn’t know about apostrophes. I think the two tips that helped me the most where slide 6 and 4. I think this because I never knew that you put and apostrophe after the s when something belongs to more than one person. I think that slide six helped me because i also never knew that when your writing it’s you mean it is, and when you just mean its you write it with no apostrophe.

I haven’t actually seen many businesses use apostrophes in the wrong way, but I do know what is wrong with this one. They have put apostrophes after the s in all the word when they are plurals.

Have a great weekend,
      Eevie 😉

• Dear Mrs Morris,

I really liked learning tips about apostrophes. At first I got a little bit confused, but after a while I understood it. It was great learning about it with you and Miss Jordan. It would be really great if Miss Cutain came too.

I definitely agree that after practise you can become great at it. I really did not know that apostrophes are NOT used for plurals. Here is an example of a sentence that does not need and apostrophe. On the weekend I saw two dogs fighting over the ball.

How do you think these tips about apostrophes can help us?

I now know a lot of great things about apostrophes.

See you soon
      Mollie

• Hi Eevie, Mollie and Nell,

Thank you so much for writing to me.

I’m glad you enjoyed our lesson and you’re starting to feel more confident with apostrophes.

Mollie, I think the tips will really help you with your writing.

Enjoy your weekend, girls!

Best wishes,
        Mrs Morris

2. Dear 4A and 4B,

Learning about apostrophes has been great and I can’t wait to continue learning about apostrophes!

The tips Miss Jordan and Miss Morris taught us were amazing and really helped me. I didn’t know there were two types of it’s! It’s interesting to know that you can put an apostrophe before and after a S.

In the picture for Sofia’s, the foods have an apostrophe when it’s a plural, and your not supposed to have a apostrophe in a plural. I’ve seen in Tasmania, there was a restraint ( can’t remember what it was called) and it had ( like Sofia’s) a list of foods with apostrophes.

The dogs’ toys didn’t brake before the big dog’s toy broke.
    I think that was right.
    Well, got to bounce,

Warm wishes,
    Ané.

3. What an important topic! Even adults can forget apostrophes, or use them incorrectly, so it’s impressive to see Grade 4 using them correctly!