Athletics Sports Day

Today the Grade 3 – 6 students participated in the annual House Athletic Sports.

P1080497

The cool day provided perfect conditions for all events. It was wonderful to see many parents and other family members cheering on the students as they rotated through each activity.

The students participated in a variety of athletic track and field events, including:

• 100 metre run
  • 200 metre run
  • Hurdles
  • High jump
  • Long jump
  • Triple jump
  • Discus
  • Shot put
  • 800 metre run (optional)

Every student is in a particular house (which are identified by different names and colours), and the points they score in each event goes towards their overall house total. We will know the overall house winner soon.

Miss Jordan was on the 200m event all day, and she enjoyed seeing the students trying their very best. Miss Curtain was at the finish line for the 100m and 200m, and she had some close calls with our talented sprinters! The slideshow below features some of the 4A and 4B students enjoying their day.

***

***

Well done to all of the 4A and 4B students for their excellent efforts and sportsmanship throughout the day.

A big thank you to Mrs Sing for organising a terrific Athletics Sports Day!

***

What was your highlight of the Athletics Sports?

Did you find any of the events challenging?

What skills do you need to perform the different athletic track and field events?

30 thoughts on “Athletics Sports Day

1. Dear 4A and 4B,

Everybody did a great job today at the athletics! I had a great time even if I got really tired. I liked how i challenged myself to see what my weaknesses and strengths are.

My highlight was the 800 metre run. I was really happy with my results and I think I did really well. I think it was my highlight because I am good at long distance, and because I came second.

I found the 100 metre and 200 metre a bit challenging. I think this was because I’m not a really good sprinter. As long as I knew that I tried my best I was pretty happy with my score.

You need to be a good jumper because that helps a lot with long jump, triple jump, hurdles and high jump. I also find that when I am doing those four different jumps that a good fast run up helps.

Do wish that there was any other sports on athletics day? Of you do, what would they be?

Everyone did a great job today!

Bye,
    Eevie 😉

• Hi Evie,

What a long comment ! I liked how you said that, ” you liked that you challenged yourself to find out what you strengths and weaknesses were.

Well done on having a go at the 800 meter because that was optional, and what a great achievement on coming second ! WOW.

Although I do enjoy athletics day, I would love it more it it had an event that involved a ball of some sort, because I don’t believe that a heavy iron ball will cut it.

Kind regards,
      Emma.G

• Dear Emma,

I like to put a lot of different words and sentences in my blog comments so they sound more interesting. The sentence that you mentioned just popped up in my head, and I thought it was pretty good, so I put it in.

I love to have a go at things, and of you have trained and are good at something why not do it? That’s why I ran the 800m.

I also wish there was anpther ball involved in the games. Maybe there could be a foam ball or even a cricket ball.

Do you like shotput?

Eevie 😉

• Hi Eevie,

Athletics day is such a great idea! It’s fun and healthy at the same time! I found it wonderful to see everyone competing in the events!

My highlight of the day was easy to pick. I have a few, high jump, long jump, 100m and hurdles. I choose high jump and long jump because I’ve always liked jumping for some reason. I choose 100m and hurdles because I run a lot and again, I love jumping.

My challenge was triple jump. I could do it it’s just I don’t take very big steps and jumps when I’m so concentrated in what I’m doing.

I’m sure everyone, including, Eevie, had a great day and tried their best.

Give them around of applause,
      Ané

• Dear Ané,

I really liked the athletics day and I have had lots of fun competing against other school children.

I only really have one main highlight which is the 800m, but I did enjoy other sports like long jump and triple jump.

My challenge was probaly 100 and 200m run. I am not the best sprinter, so it was hard for me.

Did you run the 800m?

Bye,
        Eevie 😉

• Hi Eevie,

No I didn’t do the 800m because I’m a short distance sprinter.

I hope you had fun doing the 800m. It looked fun but I think I would get pulled out.

Did you do 800m last year?

Ané

• Dear Ané,

Thanks for replying!

I ran the 800m because i am a long distance runner. I understa-nd why you didn’t run and it’s just like when i run 100 and 200m. I’m not terrible at it, but it’s hard for me to run.

I think running long distance is really fun! Os sprinting fun for you? I don’t really like it.

I did run the 800m last year and i didn’t find it very hard at all.

Bye,
            Eevie 😉

2. Hi blogging buddies!,
    By the way, great animoto Miss Jordan! 😉

My highlight was 100m sprint. I also enjoyed the shot put. I did better then I predicted.

I found discus quite challenging because my hand was to small to hold the discus 🙁 .

Later,
    Nellstar 🙂

• Dear Nell,

I think the animoto looks awesome! It seems like Miss Jordan put a lot of work into it.

I saw you running the 100 metres, and you were doing great! I also liked shot put because I got a higher score than I ever have before. My score was 4.5.

I also found discus challenging and my hand wouldn’t fit around it either, but I still got a pretty good score.

How far did you throw the shot put ball?

See you soon,
      Eevie 😉

• Dear Nellstar’s Dad,

What a great play on words!

I really enjoyed athletics day because I gave a chance for everyone to have a go, try their best, show their skills and performe the five keys to success.

Did you go to watch the athletics ? What sports did you play or even enjoy when you were young ?

I also think that everyone did an increadable job !

Chat soon,
      Emma.G

3. Dear 4a and 4b,
    It was great to see everyone trying their best yesterday!
    I think everyone did very well and I hope everyone enjoyed the day, cause I certainly did.
    My highlight of the day was long jump, shot put and triple jump.
    I found the discus a little hard because i couldn’t get my hand around it

• Dear Emily,

It was nice to hear that you tried your best at the athletics because I think that that is the most important thing to do.

Although I do have one question for you, why were you three highlights long jump, shot put and triple jump ?

I noticed that a lot of people found it hard to fit your whole hand on the discus, but I think that most people curved their hand around the side of the discus. Which is aloud.

Got to run,
      Emma.G

• Dear Emma.G
        I don’t know why I liked triple jump, long jump and shot put I guess i just like those types of sports.

By the way did you have fun at Landy field?
        Chat soon
        Emily

• Hi Emily,
      Animoto is a very good tool that we can use to make our little slideshows. Although, there are other kinds that we can use and it is always good to try something new, don’t you think?

Everyone did a really good job. I am proud of myself, and everyone else. Great job!

Did you get into districts? I didn’t. We all have different strengths and weaknesses.

Probably the best thing for me was discus, as I came 5th in our age group. But other than that, nothing really showed my potential.

What are you good at, (out of the things at Landy Field?)
      I’m good at discus, but nothing else.

Discus was probably my highlight.

I find the metre runs challenging. Do you find them tricky?

Thanks,
      Daisy 🙂 😉 😀

4. Hi everyone,
    I had a great day at Landy field. My highlight of the day was 800m. I came 3rd in the race and got into districts. I also really liked 100m. I came 1st in the race that 3 other students joined me in. My time was 18.50 seconds. I also liked it because I kept on going back for more races. In the end I did about 7 100m races. I even did one by myself! I find high jump challenging. I am not very good at it but yesterday I got up to 99cm. For 800m I need to believe in myself that I can do it……well that’s in every event. I also just have to push myself. I need to think that I am doing it for the world.

What was your favourite event and why?
    Did you come 1st, 2nd or 3rd in any races?
    Did you get into districts?
    Kind regards
    Anna

• Dear Anna,

The athletics day was great! I had a great time, and i had lots of fun.

I also really liked the 800m. I think it’s because I’m a long distance runner, and because I came 2nd and got into districts. I was really happy with my results!

I didn’t really like the 100m because I’m not as good at sprinting then long distance. I also got a time of 18 seconds. I also did more races, but I didn’t go faster than my first race. In the end I think I only did about five 100m races.

I like high jump and it can be hard and challenging. I found the second high jump mat harder, because it was a lot higher than the first one! I still did well and jumped over it.

I also needed to push myself in the 800m. I need to say to myself that I can do it. I also have a lot of other ways to get myself to run and do sports.

As I said I liked the 800m the best. It is because I am good at long distance and I came 2nd and made it into districts.

I came 2nd in the 800m, 100m and hurdles(just naming races). I also came 3rd in the 200m.

As far as I know, I only made it into districts. When the rest of the results come I will see if I made it into any other events.

Did you like shotput?
      How far did you get the shotput ball?

You did great racing!

See you soon,
      Eevie 😉

• Hi Eevie
        Thanks for commenting on my racing. You did really well too. Great job on the 800m. You deserved to come second. I am not a fan of shot put but last year I got into districts. I through the the shot put a long way. My score was 4.80.

See you soon
        Anna

5. Hi 4A and 4B,

When I went to Barwon Heads Primary school, six years ago I always enjoyed Athletics day. I was in Neptune house and my favourite event was the shot put. Now I am in year 12 and I am in the school athletics team. I train with the middle distance squad and my favourite events are the 800m and 1500m race. I look forward to the athletics day at my own school and reading your class blog in the future!

Kind regards,

Jess.

• Hi!

I would just like to say that I really appreciate reading this blog, and keeping updated on all of your class news!
      Keep up the good work!!!!

Kind regards,
      Emma’s sister’s friend.

6. Hi every one!!!

I really liked it how every on didn’t give up they just kept on trying. I think that my strengths are, hurdles, high jump and the 800 metered sprint.

I had a great day,

Cooper⭐️

7. I’m so disappointed, that I couldn’t make it to see everyone taking part in the sports day. I hope everyone had a great day, and didn’t get too nervous. I remember getting very nervous before a race, but regardless of how you go, it’s better to try and maybe not do so well, than it is to not have a try at all, after all, it’s all about enjoying yourselves.

Go Neptune!
    Andrew

8. Dear 4A and 4B

I really injoyed the sports day and I’m happy that I atleast got throw in two events and they 800 meters and 1500 meters. 800 meters and 1500 meters those are my favourite.

• Hi Archie
      I enjoyed the sports day just like you did

I new you would love the sports day because I know you are a very good runner and you must train hard to be a good runner like that!

• Hi Archie

9. To 4AB,

Don’t you think athletics day was so great?,I do, my favorite was by far
    Two hundred and hurdles

Hope you enjoyed it

Ta da
    Flynn

10. Hi everyone

Archie has been talking to me about it and it sounds very fun I think ted has been thinking about. In to years time I’m going be doing the school sports and I hope it’s fun.

From Ted

11. Dear 4a&4b

I enjoyed the sports day a lot I think it was ran well. I got through in the 800m 100m 200m and the 4X100m relay. I am really nervous for districts I hope every one performs well at districts.

Got to run
    Will