Book Week

This week is Book Week!

CBCA

The Children’s Book Council of Australia (CBCA) runs Book Week each year, and our school always enjoys celebrating this national event. Books play such an important part in our learning, and to commemorate Book Week, our students are participating in the following activities:

* Dress up parade – students dress up as a book character and participate in the whole school parade.

* Multi-age art activity – students create artwork inspired by the 2014 shortlisted books.

* Borrowing competitions – students need to return their books in their library session to be in the draw for a prize.

* Book Fair – each day (before school and after school), students and parents can buy books from the school foyer.

* Donate a book – you can buy a book from the Book Fair and donate it to the library.

* Book of the Year – students in each class vote for their favourite short-listed picture book and the overall winner is named the BHPS Book of the Year.

***

Today was Dress Up Day and we all enjoyed seeing the costumes students and teachers wore for the occasion. Afterwards, the students enjoyed participating in the multi-age art activity.

We also found out the BHPS picture books of the year. The prep – grade two winner was The Swap by Jan Ormerod. The most popular grade three – grade six book was Windy Farm by Doug Macleod.

***

Here are some photos of the 4A and 4B students in their fabulous costumes!

***

Thank you to Ms Browne and Mrs Petersen for organising Book Week and our multi-age art activities!

***

Who is your favourite book character?

Did any costumes stand out at the whole school parade?

Which 2014 short-listed book was your favourite and why?

28 thoughts on “Book Week

1. That is so good to do dress up as book characters and makes reading so much fun.I wish we could have done those things when I was at school.My favourite character of late was the Miffy books as I have a niece called Miffy!

• Hi Marg,

I am one of Abby’s friends, Kennedy.

It was so fun walking around the gym in a costumes! I went in a rabbit onsie. I was the white rabbit of alice in wonderland.

It’s such a shame that you didn’t have the book week parade when you were young. 🙁 You would have had an awesome time!

Who’s Miffy?

Yours Truley,
      Kennedy

2. Well done to all of you for your great costumes. There was such a variety and the photos were very interesting. Keep reading, it is so important.
    Eileen (Daisy’s Nanna)

• Hi Eileen,

I am one of Daisy’s friend, Kennedy.

I had a great time at the book parade. It was so fun! I went as the white rabbit of Alice in Wonderland in a rabbit onsie!

Your right. Reading is very important. It is because if you don’t know how to read a book then you won’t know how to read anything.

Bye,
      Kennedy 🙂

• Hi Kennedy,
        Thanks for replying to my Nanna.

Reading is a very important part of our life. You have to admit, we are very privileged to even learn how to read. Don’t you think?

Chat Soon,
        Daisy

• The white rabbit is a great character, Kennedy. Next year, perhaps the mad hatter from the same book? All the best!

• Hello Nanna,
      Thank you for leaving another comment on the blog.. I am glad that you are getting into this!

As I already know, you are a retired librarian and history teacher, so obviously you think that reading is important. I often call myself a bookworm.

Thanks Nanna,
      Daisy

• Hi Marg,
      I am on of Dasiys friend, Daisy ks a lovely person.

It was so fun seeing ally he diffrent types of costumes that kids parents put there time into it. I went as Alice Miranda fro the book Alice Miranda at school!

You are right about books because it helps your reading by saying the words and defining them and also it is important by getting better on your fluency.
      Bye
      Sienna

• Hi Eileen ,
      I am one of Dasiys friend, Daisy is a lovely person.

I am so sorry about my first comment I made a mistake I did marg instead of Eileen.
      It was so fun seeing all the diffrent types of costumes that kids parents put there time into it. I went as Alice Mirand from the book Alice Miranda at school.

Bye
      Sienna

• Hi Sienna. Thank you for your comment. The Alice Miranda books are great, keep reading, hope that you finish the series. I wish there were more books written for boys like that series. All the best!

• Hi Eileen,
          Thank you for your wonderful comment. I am only up to the second Alice Miranda but I am nearly up to the third one. There is a new Alice Miranda book coming out September 1st it is the 10th Alice Miranda book called Alice Miranda at camp.
          Yes I do wish there was books like that for kids, maybe I could look into it.

3. Dear 4A and 4B
    The book parade was great fun. My favourite costume out of the teachers were Mrs Morris, Mr Watene, Miss Wheeler, Mrs Renfrey, Mrs Peterson, my mum and there was lots more.

My favourite book character was Susan, Alice – Miranda, Astroid and there was lots more, but these characters stood out to me.

One costume that stood out to me was the big hungry bear. Emma.G went as this character and her costume was awesome!

My favourite short listed book in 2014 was The Tresure Box. This book was my favourite because it had different illustrations but with the same sort of topic. The Tresure Box made me feel sad and soft.

Did you like the book week day?
    Did you find out who Mr Roskosh was?
    Wich teacher do you think had the best costume?
    Did you like the book Tresure Box?

Kind regards
    Anna

• Dear Anna,
      I loved your costume and here are are the answers to your questions
      I Loved the book week day.
      I found out mr roskosh was homer on his horse.
      I think miss curtan had the best costume out of the teachers.
      I Liked the treasure box it was one of my favorites.

Bye
      Lily

4. Hi everyone,

I thought book week was awesome!

Everyone had great costume. All of the school had a terrific idea with their costumes. Jemima’s outfit was so funny! I think she must have thought hard to be violet as a blueberrie! She couldn’t sit down her costume it was so big!

I went as the white rabbit in my bunny onsie! Lot’s of kid’s went in there animal onsie’s as well. They must have been super popular!

Chat Soon,
    Kennedy 😉

• Hi Kennedy,
      So many people went in there onesies. Many of them were animal onesies. I didn’t think that costumes could be made just by wearing a onesie! 🙁

The white rabbit was a very good character to go as. For it was from a very popular book, Alice in Wonderland. Which has great description. Good choice! 🙂

Chat Soon,
      Daisy

• Hi Annika,
      I am on your side. The parade was spectacular! I always find it good to take a page out of someone else’s book! Don’t you?

If you take a page out of someone else’s book it means that you are doing or saying.

Thanks,
      Daisy

• Hi Annika,
      If you take a page out of someone else’s book it means that you are doing or saying that another person would usually do.
      Thanks,
      Daisy

• Hi Emily,
      The costumes were great. I agree!

I went as the Ice Queen from Narnia. Who did you go as? I found all of the costumes very interesting. Didn’t you?

I like how you mentioned that there was a really big variety of different costumes. For some people came in as a person that some of us have never even heard of before or seen, which made a really good effect on the parade, I think.

Thanks,
      Daisy

• Hi Emily,
      I agree with you that the costumes were spectacular, there were a variety of costumes. I loved your costume as Paddington bear.
      writing over,
      Sienna

5. Hello 4B & A,

What an amazing array of costumes and reading material! Good job for everyone to get involved and share their favorite books with their classes. Secretly I think we’re all book worms on some level……..we just need to find the right book!

Cheers
    Caitlin’s mum 🙂