Best wishes, Mr Watene!

For the past six weeks, 4A and 4B have enjoyed having Mr Watene in the classroom.

Mr Watene is a student teacher from Ballarat University and today is his last day in 4A and 4B. This was Mr Watene’s final teaching placement and in a few weeks he will finish his university degree.

During the past six weeks, Mr Watene has:

• Been a Hooptime basketball coach
  • Assisted with high jump at the Athletics Sports Day
  • Implemented a variety of CAFE reading strategies
  • Helped students with their persuasive writing skills
  • Taught fun maths lessons
  • Launched our inquiry “sustainability”  unit of work.

On our Book Week dress up day, Mr Watene dressed up as Carl Fredricksen, from the movie Up. Here he is with the 4A and 4B students.

4A Mr Watene

P1080579

Thank you and farewell, Mr Watene!

***

What was your favourite lesson with Mr Watene?

If you were a student teacher, what type of lessons would you like to teach?

20 thoughts on “Best wishes, Mr Watene!

1. Hello Mr Watene and 4A and B,
    I am also currently doing teaching rounds, I am at Belmont High School. I am teaching Biology and General science. My favourite subject to teach at Belmont High is the Year 10 Horticulture class. We do a mixture of theory relating to plant structure and function and practical activities. The students have their own raised garden beds to grow their vegetables.Today we are going to spend our whole lesson in the garden as it is a beautiful sunny day! Does anyone grow vegetables at home? I am teaching the students how to germinate seeds in the greenhouse next week. Can anyone suggest some vegetables that are easy to grow? Enjoy the sunshine everyone.
    Cheers
    Keir (Nell’s Mummy)

• Hi Keir,
      Belmont school looks like they teach a lot there. I love growing vegetables they are so fun, because you can get them fresh out of your garden instead of going to the supermarket. Yes we do grow vegetables at home but not a lot of the because we hardly have time to plant more seeds.
      Your question before about vegetables are easy to grow here is seven ideas and they are very easy, Green beans, Lettuce, Cucumbers, Spinach,Tomatoes, Radishes, Bell peppers and Summer squash.
      Got to go,
      Sienna

2. Hello Everyone,

It has been a great time with Mr Watene!

My favourite lesson with Mr Watene was either watching Wall•E or going outside measuring things. It’s very hard to choose from because they were both so fun!

If I were a student teacher, I would teach preps or grade 1/2’s because they are so cute and are easy to teach.

Bye Mr Watene! );

3. Hi Mr Watene,
    It is so sad that you are leaving us. You have been a great student teacher and I know you will make great teacher of your own.
    My highlight with Mr Watene was measurement in maths, and Mr Watene showing us how to know our times table with our fingers. Lie to find out 9×5=45 with our fingers.
    If I was a student teacher I would like to teach a Inquiry or Marths(measurement)
    Good luck Mr Watene,
    Sienna

4. Dear Mr Watene,
    I enjoyed meeting you at the Hoop time basketball event and managing your little team of guns! They did a very good job on the day. Seems that you have made quite an impact on this lovely group of students during your time…….well done! I wish you all the best for the remainder of your studies and maybe the school will see you return once you have completed your Education.
    Kind regards
    Kim 🙂

• Hi Kim(Caitlin’s mum),

That so sad that you only got to meet Mr Watene at hoop time, be is a very nice man and would make a great teacher.
      Yes it is so sad that Mr Watene is leaving our school,it has been amazing when he teaches us new things, especially when he teaches he’s maths group measurement.
      Mt favourite lesson was when we did the slogans and when we got to go outside and measure the tables in maths. I love how Mr Watene makes everything so fun and creative.
      If I was a student teacher I would teach educational subjects but try and have a little fun in it but also staying focus not the task. I would also do the same thin has you in maths because I like the idea if vertical subtraction, vertical addition, multiplication and division, there very fun to work out.
      You would be a great student teacher Anna passing on your Mums job,
      See you tomorrow,
      Sienna

5. Hi everyone and Mr Watene,
    I have really enjoyed spending time with Mr Watene throughtout those last six weeks. Many fun times occurred with Mr Watene, and I would like to thank him for all of his hard work and effort he has put into our lessons over the last six weeks.

I didn’t want for the six weeks to end with Mr Watene, but time cannot stop. So it did end. 🙁
    Though I have had a marvelous time with Mr Watene around!

I REALLY want Mr Watene to come on camp in Term 4 and visit us every now and then. That would make me feel really happy!

My favourite lessons with Mr Watene were probably the persuasive letters. I also really like Mr Watene reading Weir-Do2 with us. That was great fun!

If I was a student teacher I would like to teach Maths skills to students or teach lots of different reading skills to remember.

Thank you Mr Watene,
    Daisy 🙂 😉 😀

6. Dear Mr Watene,

I can’t believe your six weeks in 4A and 4B is up already. It seems like yesterday I was meeting you on your first day at BHPS.

I know you have made a big impact on all the students and staff at Barwon Heads. I’m sure Miss Jordan, Miss Curtain and all he 4A and 4B students will miss you!

I wish you all the best for the completion of your studies and the start of your new career in education. I’m sure you’ll make an outstanding teacher!

Best wishes,
    Mrs Morris

7. Dear Mr Watene,

It’s so sad that your leaving us. I had a great time when you were teaching the class.

My favourite lesson with you was the slogans. I thought it was a really good activity. My slogan was ” pick it up or it’s you life out of hand”. That was probly my most favourite lesson but I liked everyone of them.

If I was a student teacher I would teach fun lessons but educational. I really like the idea of teaching vertical addition, subtraction, multipiculcation and short division. These are my favourite type of maths.

I hope to see you around at school if you visit.

Kind regards
    Anna

• Hi Anna,
      See you tomorrow,
      Sienna

8. Dear Mr Watene,

I have had a great six weeks with you. It is a shame you have to go.

My favrite lesson with you was all of them! You are such a great teacher and I hope you can come back.

I would like to teach a math lesson on addion.

See ya,
    Nellstar 😉 🙂

• Hi Nelly,
      Yes it has been a great six weeks with Mr Watene, I have enjoyed all the fun we have had with him.

Mt favourite lesson was when we did the slogans and when we got to go outside and measure the tables in maths. I love how Mr Watene makes everything so fun and creative. I do miss all the fun lessons we have had with Mr Watene.
      If I was a student teacher I would teach educational subjects but try and have a little fun in it but also staying focus on the task. I would also do maths like vertical subtraction, multiplication,division and addition.
      Got to go,
      Sienna

• Hi Cooper,
      Yes it is sad that Mr Watene has left us, but he might come back for grade 4 camp how luckey. I have learnt lots of things from Mr Watene like the 10 finger trick to practice your times table.
      My highlight with Mr Watene was when we did the slogans and maths in measurement.
      What was your highlight with Mr Watene?

9. G’day Everyone!

Wow, it’s only been a week since I’ve finished up with you lot and i can honestly say I miss all of you!

Being back at university is quite different than teaching you guys. I have this weird feeling when i sit in class, because now I am no longer the teacher, I am the student just like you guys but that’s ok because I only have 7 more weeks and I’m finished. Yeeeeeww!

I am keen to know how Enviroweek has been going and I am very interested to know how everyone is doing with their pledges. Remember these pledges are not just something that you would have been doing just for this week, but something you can continue to do for the rest of your lives.

I hope you all had fun with Mr Smith this week and I am sure you have learnt a great deal from his lessons. I am going to be constantly checking the blog so keep all these great blogging comments up.

Before I wrap up I have a task for you. Do you think you can do it for me? Here it is:

Your task if you choose to accept it is to try and convince your lovely teachers, Miss Jordan & Miss Curtain to allow me to come on your school camp. I thought all of you aren’t such a bad bunch after all :p so why not see if I can come on camp with you guys.

See how you go and be sure to let me know 🙂

All the best,

Mr Watene

10. Hello 4AB

I really miss Mr Watene but my favourite lessen with Mr Watene was when we were reading weirdo 2.

Mr Watene was my basketball coach with hooptime we lost 3 games but came a draw in our last game and he went baserk