100 Word Holiday Writing Challenge

After each set of school holidays, the students in 4A and 4B enjoy writing about their holiday adventures.

This time we did something a little different. We had to write about our holidays in exactly 100 words! We got this idea from the 100 Word Challenge blog.

Usually we enjoy writing lots of interesting details and information in our holiday recounts, but we had to use our 100 words wisely for this task. Some students described just one event of the holidays, while others recounted a few different activities.

Here are some examples of our 100 Word Holiday Recounts.

Mollie

On the first week of the holidays, my grandparents took Oscar and I to the Royal Melbourne Show. As we walked in, it was completely jam-packed with people. I went on one ride called rock star. It was great!
One of the rides caught my eye straight away. But it had height restrictions to 150cm! I didn’t think I was that tall.
Instead we went to the animal shelter. We first looked at the dogs. They had all sorts of breeds.
Lastly, we went and got 2 show-bags each. The shelter was absolutely  packed with lots of people.

Mitchell

On my holidays, I went to Ballarat to see some of my friends from my old school. We went to Fun Bugs which is a play centre where you can run away and be free. Some of my friends who went were Adam, James and Ryan.

Another thing that happened was that my cousin left to Korea for two whole years. It was sad to see them go.  Afterwards I went to the playground . When I got home I sat on the couch and played a little bit of ps3 (it stands for play station 3 ). It was very fun.

Georgie

On the first week of the school holidays, my family and I got to go to Noosa. Everyday the sunshine looked down at us, and only once did it rain. Everyday when I got in the glistening water at the beach, I felt fish nibbling and swimming around me.
On the second last day of being at Noosa, we went for a walk around the tropical National Park. The animals we saw were in the oddest places! We saw a frill-necked lizard and three goannas.
We also saw a bearded dragon, but he/she lived in our garden.

Ane

During the last week of the holidays, I went to a fantastic soccer school for five days. It went for 7 hours a day. My coach was Papolo. He taught my group a different topic each day.
On Monday, we did passing. On Tuesday, we did first touch. On Wednesday, we did accuracy. On Thursday, we did shooting, and on the last day we did a bit of them all.
My favourite activity was shooting, because I am very accurate and engaged with power and helping my team win
I absolutely loved the Arsenal soccer school and am going back!

Ella

On Wednesday the 24th of September my cousins (Alex and Max) and my uncle and auntie (Peter and Yvonne) took me on an amazing holiday to Singapore!

We went on the night safari at the Singapore Night Zoo and saw lots of creatures great and small. The bus took us around the bus and a lady talked about the different animals and why we needed to protect and not hurt the environment so our children can experience these flora and fauna. She told us that there’s a new one of the three Rs, replant. There even was a bull elephant!

Alex C

Cuboree is five awesome days of fun, adventure, bush, injuries and mud.

At Cuboree there are eight great activities: Time Lords, Great Australia, Great Senses, Far Far Away, Never Never Land, Cherry Lane and Robin da Hood. One of the best activities, Time Lords, is all about Doctor Who. We got to sling shot muddy balls at garlics, hide from Weeping Angels and dig for fossils.

This is the eighth Cuboree and the biggest, and more than 3500 cubs attended. All the cubs agree it was great.

The Cuboree website is http://www.vicscouts.com.au/cuboree-2014 You should check it out for more information!

***

Thanks to the 100 Word Challenge blog for this great idea!

What did you enjoy about your holidays?

Do you have any ideas for future writing challenges for the 4A and 4B students?

Can you leave a blog comment that is exactly 100 words in length?

18 thoughts on “100 Word Holiday Writing Challenge

1. So many wonderful holiday memories from the students of Grades 4A and 4B! Such variety – from Singapore to Ballarat to Cuboree to soccer camp to Noosa and the Royal Melbourne Show. I’ll be interested to hear how other students spent their holidays. My best memories of school holidays come from the camping trips we took as a family. Dad would hook up the caravan and off we’d go. We went to Bright and across to Lakes Entrance. We even went as far as Canberra one winter. It rained the whole time we were there, but we still had fun.

2. Hi everyone,
    This is my 100 word challenge.

I was on the Franklin island boat I was exited I was going snorkelling for the first time. I was going to franklin island to snorkel, they said I was guarantied to see a Turtle. When we got to the island I found a cocoanut, it was as big as my head. I tried to crack the cocoanut in half but then got called over to go snorkelling I put my flippers on and almost strait away I saw a TURTLE I could nearly touch it it was so close to me when I first saw it it scared me.

3. Dear 4A and 4B,

How amazing everyone has done such a great job and i think Mollie, Mitchell, Georgie, Ane, Ella, and Alex have also done such a great job.

I am looking forward to do something else exciting like the 100 word challenge.

Got to hop

Jasmine

4. Dear miss Jordan, 4A and 4B,

I enjoyed being at Halls Gap and climbing mountains.
    I especially loved having my friends over for a sleepover.

I think that 4A and 4B should make our own holiday writing by folding paper of a A2 peice of paper.

Catch u later,

Awesome Alex,

5. Hi Everyone,

I loved my holidays. I spent all my time up in nice, warm and sunny Queensland! 🙂

For the first 4 days in Queensland we stayed in Harvey Bay. One of the days we were there we went on a day tour to Fraser Island. I really liked flowing down Eli’s Creek and driving along the Beach Highway.

We also went to Noosa. My favourite part about Noosa was going to Malaney. We got to jump off rocks and feel the end of waterfalls. It was so much fun. I also really enjoyed getting a braid in my hair and seeing Lily at the beach. I had a great time!

My holidays were so much fun!

See you later,
    Kennedy 😉

6. Hello 4A & 4B,
    This task was very challenging, but I would like to do more of it.

I injoyed the holidays but I did miss school. I injoyed every day of my holidays but I mostly injoyed doing mini golf with my family. I wonder how many of you went to the cinamers?

These are some challenges that I thought of…
    – 100 word summary of a book
    – To write a commic.
    I will write another comment if I think on any more. Can’t wait for the next challenge!

Hope you are having a good first day back!
    Emma.

7. Dear miss Jordan 4A and 4B,

Late after school I we started to drive to Golden Beach, the drive was long but I got throw it. When we arrived at Golden Beach we stayed at my Grandy and Grandads beach house.
    Once we had left the beach house we set of for another big drive.

When we got there we met Toby and Jahli there and we stated in a cabin next door to them. The things I enjoyed the most were the trampolines, go carts, Water park, kangaroos, indoor pool / spa, jumping pillow and lots more.

Nice chatting,
    ABBY

• Hi ABBY,

It sounds like you had an awesome holiday! (:

I would have loved to do and see all of those things! Especially trampalining and going to a waterpark. I did go to a waterpark but it wasn’t much fun because the surfing thing that was there wasn’t working. ):

I had a great holiday too! My favorite thing was probably jumping off rocks into a river and going to Fraser Island!

See you later,
      Kennedy (;

8. Dear 4A and 4B,

I think that the 100 hundred word challenge is a great idea because it encourages you to still say what you want to say but in less text.

Here is my 100 word challenge, hope you like it.

On the Holidays I did lots of very exiting things. Like going to Noosa in a plane with my family. That was really fun, we flew with Quants on the way up and virgin on the way back. In Noosa we stayed at and hotel called sacks on hosting. The hotel was just across the road from the beach and had a pool and spa. The weather was amazing it’s so much hotter up there.

Once I got back from Queensland I was really bored because all my friends were away on holidays. But eventually I found something to do.

Over and out
    Leo man.

9. Hi everyone,

Hope you had a great holiday! I sure did.

I do have a challange for you bloggers! It was one that grade six’s did. You have to chose an amount of words and ues them to make a short story.

Great 100 word story’s!

Nellstar

• Hi Nelly,
      I enjoyed going to Noosa( which is already said up the top), but I also enjoyed seeing my cousin, even though she had to leave the next day.

The challenge you have suggested sounds very interesting and I think I might have a go at it.

A challenge I found on another blog is the 5 sentence challenge. The way you do it is you have to right 5 sentences about a theme.

Chat soon,
      Georgie

10. Hi 4A and 4B

I thought the 100 word challenge was a great idea, a good short and snappy way to write about something.

Peace out,
    Portchy

11. Hi 4A and 4B,

It sounds like everyone had an awesome holiday.

One of my favourite things I did on the holidays was going to the Melbourne Zoo with my nana (and the good thing was that my sister didn’t come with use!). We saw lots of really interesting animals and some really cute one to. My favourites where by far the Meircats and the Lemus. They’re so cute.

One idea that can be a future writing challenge for 4A and 4B is that we have to use diffrent words through out the whole text. This might help with our vocabulary and thesaurus skills.

This is around about 100 hundred words. ( I think it is )

Bye,
    Nell

12. Dear 4A and 4B,

I think that that doing the 100 word challenge is a great idea for our reflections of the holidays!

On the holidays the number one thing that I really enjoyed was going to The Royal Melbourne Show. One of the rides I went on was the roller coaster. It was really fast and fun, but at one point, I thought I was going to fall of! 🙂

I think a writing piece in the future that we could do is pick any text and it has to be exactly 555 words. It could be a little bit hard…..

Do you think that the 100 word challenge is a good idea?

Keep in touch,
    Eevie 😉

13. Dear Miss Jordan, 4A and 4B,

This is my 100 word challange.

I was laying there looking dreamy. As we entered a big puffy cloud, I heard one one of the staff make an announcement. “There will be two people coming around with food. If you would like to take a look at the menu in you’re front pocket”. It was Jono’s call on what we would have, since Henry and I had the i-Pad. He decided on an Orange Juice and some cheese and biscuits each. Mum and our Aunt, Philipa had some wine. They didn’t think that it was one of the best. We heard another call. “We’ve landed”.

What was you’re highlight on the holidays?

Did you go to the movies or a freinds house?

Got to go,

Bebe

14. Hello everyone,
    I think that the 100 word challenge was a great idea and it was really involving. What do you think?

My cousins came down for a while and if you would like to know what I mean read my word challenge.

The first week of my holidays was enjoyed with my cousins off my Mums side. They are called Emily and Isabel. Emily is a thirteen year old, and Izzy is and eight year old. We played many games of spotlight, (a night-time game).

On the second week of the holidays, our family went to Port Fairy. We stayed in a small house, right next to the beach, where there were always waves to jump. We went out for breakfast, lunch and dinner because a fair few times because we didn’t really know why the stove and things weren’t working.

I honestly don’t have any ideas of more challenges but I’ll try to think up of some while the term lasts.

Cheers,
    Daisy 🙂 😉 😀