Total Lunar Eclipse

Last night, a total lunar eclipse could be seen in the sky.

A lunar eclipse occurs when the Moon passes directly behind the Earth into its shadow. This only happens when the Sun, Earth, and Moon are aligned, with the Earth in the middle. Because of this, a lunar eclipse can only occur on the night of a full moon.

The lunar eclipse turned the moon a red-to-brown colour, like the image below.

Total lunar eclipse

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e1/Oct_28_2004_total_lunar_eclipse-espenak.png

Last night in Victoria, the total lunar eclipse could be seen at about 8.30pm – 11.30pm. Unlike a solar eclipse, it is safe to view a lunar eclipse directly with your eyes.

***

The NASA video below explains why a total lunar eclipse occurs.

This is the second total lunar eclipse this year. There will be another two lunar eclipses next year, in April and September.

***

Did you see the total lunar eclipse?

Do you know any interesting facts about space?

9 thoughts on “Total Lunar Eclipse

1. Dear 4A 4B

I did not see the lunar eclipses I was probably in bed our playing on my iPad. I saw the lunar eclipse on April but not September.

I think it is cool how the moon brights up and how it forms.

Best wishes
    Billy

2. Hi 4B,
    We really enjoyed watching your video of the lunar eclipse. Most of our class were in bed which meant that we didn’t get to see it so it was great to see the film.
    We are writing reports at the moment and some of our class are writing about Space so we found your information about the lunar eclipse very interesting.
    Hope you are having fun in class today,
    Love from 1B :]

3. Hi 4A & 4B
    I watched the lunar eclipse while playing tennis last night. All the adults playing tennis discussed the eclipse. It was amazing to watch the full moon slowly get covered by Earth’s shadow as the moon, Earth and sun all came into perfect alignment. How lucky were we to have such a clear night to see this extraordinary natural event?
    Regards
    Andrew (Billy’s dad)

4. Hello 4AB

I did see the Luna eclipse but when I saw the moon it looked like pacman. I did not see its full form though.

My uncel Nick and Mum saw it and pointed it out. At first me and gabe thought it was just a boring old moon but then I rememberd it was supposed to be a full moon.

Bye,
    Eli

5. Hi everyone

I did not see the Lunar eclipse but I heard it was amazing how it changed to red and back to a whitish colour.

I was spewing that I missed it.
    I sure hope I see the next Lunar eclipse

Gotta go,
    – Will