Sand Dune Revegetation

Today the grade four students walked to the sand dunes to do some revegetation in the area.

P1080782

Revegetation is the process of replanting and rebuilding the soil of disturbed land.

Anne, from the Marine and Freshwater Discovery Centre, and Brett and Maddie, from Barwon Coast, met us at the sand dunes for our session. Anne and Maddie discussed some interesting facts about the dunes, including:

• Hooded plovers nest in the dunes, which is why people should try to keep away from the area. They are a rare and threatened species.
  • Hooded plovers are different to the Spur Winged Plover (or Masked Lapwing), which are common and tend to swoop.
  • Foxes endanger the hooded plovers and their eggs.
  • Fox bait is placed in the dunes to keep foxes away. It is deadly for pets and humans.
  • It is very important to read the signs at the beach to comply with rules and regulations.

P1080827

We then laid branches on the sand path in the dunes to form brush matting. This helps to prevent people from standing on the new plants and protects the area to help it flourish. We planted bush grass plants amongst the brush matting.

We had a lot of fun learning more about our local environment and helping with the planting process. We should all try to care for our beautiful surroundings in every way that we can.

The slideshow below shows us enjoying our revegetation experience!

***

What did you think of the revegetation activity?

What did you learn from this experience?

How can people help to look after the sand dunes?

13 thoughts on “Sand Dune Revegetation

I really enjoyed this excursion because it mad me feel helpful and involved with helping all the animals.

My favourite part of the activity was planting the grass because I love planting things.

I think people could help the animals by following the signs and going by them. Also not walking in the sand dunes and no littering.

Would you go on another walk and do that again?

Regards,
    Ané

• Dear Ané,

I loved reading your comment ! You put in everything a good quality comment has.

As well as typing a quality comment, you also answered all the questions that were listed.

To answer your question, my responce would be yes. I would enjoy going on a walk and have a go at replanting and rebuilding because I didn’t even get a go because I was sick.

On the other hand, I hope that you enjoyed yourself and had lots of fun.

Chat soon,
      Emma.G

• Dear Emma,

Thank you so much for replying to me! Thank you also for commlementing me on my comment!

You’re comment, I have to say, is set out very nicley! Even before you we learnt about quality comments, you did them!

It’s too bad you missed the walk, it was amazing, and it made me feel helpful. I’m sure you’ll get to experience a walk so good one day, and because you go to so many wonderful places, I’m sure you’ve been and will go on a helpful walk some day.

I hope you feel better,
        Ané

2. Hi all,

What a great exersion that was to the sand dunes!
    Great post and photos too.

I learnt that there is only 400 hodded plovers left and that there are in danged. I also learnt about fox bait and that it is very harmful to humans and animals.

People can help look after the sand dunes by…
    Keeping off the sand dunes,
    Revegetation and lots more.

Bye,
    Nelly 😀

• Hi Nellstar,
      The sand dunes where lots of fun! I learnt lot’s too.

Poor Hooded Plovers. I can’t belive there are only 400 left! I wonder how many die each day, week month and year.

One of my favorite parts were planting the plants. I can’t wait till I am older and I remember when I was in grade four and went to tbe sand dunes.

See you tomorrow!
      Emma.

3. Dear class mates,

Sadly I was sick with a bad cold on Friday when everyone went to the dunes. Although I can see that you had a fantastic time !

I have read quite a lot about the hooded plover and heres a description. The hooded plover is a medium-sized Australian shorebird gets its name from its prominent black head, which looks like a hood against its white neck and underparts.

I think that a good way to look after the sand dunes is to,
    * follow signs
    * keep away from the sand dunes
    * not littering

Would you like to go on another walk to the sand dunes ?
    What did you find interesting ?
    Why is it important to look after the environment ?

I wish that I could have come to the dunes too. 🙁

Kind regardes,
    Emma.G

4. Hi Everyone,

What a great excursion to the Sand Dunes! I enjoyed it heaps!

My favourite part was planting the plants with a partner. I did it with Nelly. When we were covering up the soil from the plant, somehow it slipped out and we couldn’t find the water crystals but Brett said it was okay.
    I feel sad for all of the hooded plovers because they are all losing there homes and Family’s. ):

I learnt that foxes actually lived in the sand dunes. I wonder who was the person who brant them here.

To keep the sand dunes alive we can:
    Keep off
    No damaging
    Trying not to destroy the hooded plovers nesting spot
    And much much more. (:

I had a great time and I hope everyone else did too!

Bye,
    Kennedy (;

• Hi Kennedy,
      I also enjoyed planting the plants with you!
      That was funny how the plant plopped out of its hole 😉
      Lucky Brett was there to help!

I agree will you about how we can help the sand dunes.

I as well learnt about fox bait.

Bye kennedy,
      Nelly 😀

5. G’day all,

I think that we could help the sand Junes and the Hooded plover by
    • not walking on the sand Junes
    • looking were you are stepping
    • putting more fox bait down 10cm in the sand

Seyall,
    Spencer

6. Hi 4A and 4B,

I really enjoyed doing the revegetation at the Sand Dunes!

I think it is great that we could go to the Sand Dunes to plant plants. I thought that putting the tree branches over the sand was the best part, but I did also like planting the plants. The frustrating thing about putting the plants in the sand was when you dug a hole the sand kept going back in the hole.

At the Sand Dunes I learnt that the hooded ploovers nest their eggs on the Sand Dunes. The eggs camouflage in the sand and they get stepped and sat on. If we want some hooded plover eggs to hatch, people should really keep out of the sand dunes.

Another thing I learnt at the Sand Dunes was fox bait. The people from Barwon Coast make a hole (the hole is a few centermetres deep) in the sand and put the fox bait in. This should kill the foxes so that they will not kill or wreck animal habitats!

People can help the Sand Dunes by:
    • Keeping out off the Sand Dunes
    • Getting more students to come to the Sand Dunes to do revegetation
    • Not touching hooded plover eggs if we see them

How could we help the hooded plovers?

I really want to go on an excursion like this again!

Bye,
    Eevie 😉

7. Dear 4A and 4B,

I really enjoyed doing the revegetation and helping the sand dunes.

I learnt that foxes are big threat to Australia’s native animals.

A fact about Hooded Plovers is the average of the Hooded Plovers life time is 17 years.

People can help look after the environment by not jumping all over them.

Bye,
    Nell

8. Hi everyone,

I really enjoyed the sand june revegetacion, if I got the chance I would defenitly do it again.
    The brush matting is a really good idea I wouldn’t have been able to think of it myself. The point of the brush matting is put lots of sticks and things on the path in the Sand Dune so that people do not step on it.

Once we had done the brush matting we got into pears and planted and plant each. We planted the plants in the brush matting so that the plants had some pretection from the sand storms. My partner was Spencer, he planted the small grean plant and I planted the big greeny yellow plant.

We also learnt about the fox bait and where it is and all of that. The fox bait is poisonous to animals and humans. It is berried 10 cm under the ground and looks like meat but in the middle is a little dot of pink whitch is the poison. If you touch the pink bit you will get very sick and die.
    They have the fox bait to kill the foxes because the foxers are eating the hooded plovers whitch are endangered.

The walk was great fun and I would like to do it again.

Got to go
    Leo.

9. Hello Miss Jordan 4A and 4B,

I learnt about the fox bait and how it is dug 10cm under the sand. It is there because the foxes are eating and standing on the eggs of the Hooded Plovers. That is also why dogs are not allowed on the beaches and because they may eat the fox bait. It is deadly to humans and dogs.

I enjoyed handing the brush matting over to get to the end so that they can put it down. I also enjoyed planting the plants in amongst the brush matting.

People can help look after the sand dunes if they do not walk on them.

Gotta go,
    Bebe.