Bike Education

This week, the grade four students are involved in our school Bike Education program.

Each day, students complete four rotations designed to improve their riding skills and road safety awareness. Students also participate in a daily on-road ride to practise their skills.

bike

Some skills that students have practised include:

• Preparing their bike and helmet for safe riding
  • The power position
  • Scanning
  • Indicating
  • Turning
  • Braking
  • Riding safely from a driveway to the road
  • Riding around parked cars
  • Giving way
  • Endurance riding
  • Riding on different surfaces
  • Riding single file
  • Riding with a partner and riding in a straight line

***

Here are some photos of the 4A and 4B students enjoying the Bike Ed rotations.

***

Students will have the opportunity to practise their riding skills again during our camp in a couple of weeks. It is also expected that the grade four students will be role models for other students when they are riding to and from school each day.

A big thank you to all of the parents who have assisted with our Bike Ed program this week!

***

What do you like about Bike Ed?

What riding tip do you have for other students?

Do you like to go bike riding?

12 thoughts on “Bike Education

1. Hi 4A and 4B,

I have enjoyed bike ed so much this week, learning about right and left hand turns, giving way at give way signals and much much more.

I love to go bike riding, because it is so fun to enjoy the soroundings. I usually ride everyday to school, if it isn’t raining.

My riding tip is that when you are riding, look right behind you, but not to far that you fall off, because if you don’t, you might not see a vehicle behind you.

Chat soon,
    Georgie

2. Hello 4AB,

I have really enjoined bike ed and the diferent rotations.

The thing I have improved on the most is right hand turns.

What have you improved on the most?

Eli,

3. Dear 4A and 4B,

What a great post!

I think I like Bike Ed because you learn and do new things that you might not of known about of you have never done. I have learnt a lot of new things and I can’t wait to practice them on other bike rides!

Some tips for students about bike riding are:
    • Always make sure you are always on the right side of the road other whys you will crash into other bike riders
    • Always scan before you cross roads
    • Signal so drivers and pedestrians no which way your going.

I love bike riding with my dad and two of my sisters! We usually ride to Ocean Grove and we have a lot of fun riding together.

Have you learnt any new skills during bike ed?
    What is your favourite rotation?

I am really enjoying bike ed!

Keep in touch,
    Eevie 😉

4. Hi everyone,

I like bike ed because we learn how to be safe on the road.

A riding top for any other people is always stay on the left side of the road.

I love to go bike riding because it is a great way to get energenic and enjoy the fresh air.

Bye,
    Nell

5. Hello everyone,
    Bike Ed has been really fun and is sadly about to come to an end, though we still should occasionally ride to school.

What was your favourite activity? I liked the ride outside of school, which was exceptionally fun.

Which skill did you like practicing? I think that being balanced and having good endurance is important.

I like to go bike riding. Do you?

My tip for other students is to stop and scan. Also to be concentrated, that can cause crashes.

Cheers,
    Daisy 😀

• Hi Daisy,

I really enjoyed bike ed heaps, and it was sad to have to stop it. As you may know, I really enjoyed the final bike ride around barwon heads.

I love to go bike riding, and that’s why I always ride everyday!

I liked practising riding as slow as you can, because not only was fun, it helped me to know what to do at give way signs. the record I made was 24 seconds.

I enjoyed every activity, even if some were harder or easier than others.

I hope we get to have heaps of fun activities like bike ed soon!

Chat later,
      Georgie 🙂

6. Hi everyone,

I’ve been doing bike ed at school and I’ve found it really fun. I think that the best thing about bike ed is that you get to learn new skills and then take those skills that you learnt in school and use them when your riding your bike on the road.

I think that bike ed has helped me allot because it has made me more aware of the dangers when riding on the road.

Got to go
    From Leo.

7. Hi Everyone,

Bike Ed is a great thing to do because it improves our riding and safety skills.

I like Bike Ed because you can lean new things and refresh your memory. I love going out in the road because… 1. You can actually use your skills 2. There are different signs to practice stopping for cars and scanning.

I like going bike riding with my parents around Barwon Heads. There’s sometimes a new place where we’re going to. Once when my dad and I were riding home from going for a ride around Barwon Heads I fell off my bike on a gravel hill road and I got a big, big cut, bruise, bloody knee and I even had to ride home. To this day on I have a tick shaped scar that’s going to stay there for the rest if my life.

Ella

8. Seems that the streets of Barwon Heads and the surrounding areas will now have some excellent & very proficient bike riders on them! Well done to all the class for their marvelous attitudes to something so important. Have fun riding! Kim

9. Hi eveyone.
    Whats up,

I hope you all enjoyed Bike Ed, I know I sure did because I really like riding.

What I liked about Bike Ed was riding our bikes outside in the nice weather, I also liked the fact that we weren’t inside doing school work.

My riding tip for other students is always be scanning because you never know when a car might be coming.

Bye guys,

-Will P

10. Dear Miss Jordan and class,

We really enjoyed your post about Bike Education. We liked reading about how Bike Education helps kids ride their bikes safely. Our tip for you is, if a stranger asks you if you want a ride home, say no! We love to go bike riding! Where will your bike education camp be?

Sincerely,
    Keever’s Crew
    http://www.keeverscrew.edublogs.org

11. I showed my class in Reading, England your blog and they loved the idea of learning how to ride a bike safely in school. We may try and introduce it into our school! Enjoy riding your bikes safely!

nightingale2014.manorprimary.net