The One And Only Ivan

In 4A and 4B we love to read. At the start of the term we began a class novel titled The One and Only Ivan, by Katherine Applegate.

About the book

Ivan is a gorilla who lives at the Exit 8 Big Top Mall and Video Arcade with his animal companions. While he is very used to this existence in his domain, he makes a change in his life and the lives of others, with the help of his friends. The One and Only Ivan is a work of fiction that is based on a true story.

Mrs Hembree, a teacher librarian in Seattle, USA, made a fabulous book trailer about The One and Only Ivan. We watched the book trailer before reading the story to tune us into the text.

***

Our reflections

We have been reading a bit of The One and Only Ivan every day this term and we enjoyed it very much. Here are our thoughts and reflections. Please be aware that our reflections may contain spoilers!

***

What did you think about The One and Only Ivan? Do you have a reflection to add?

What did you think of the characters in this book?

Were there any special messages in The One and Only Ivan?

Can you recommend any other books that the students in 4A and 4B might enjoy?

5 thoughts on “The One And Only Ivan

1. Dear 4A and 4B,

I really enjoyed hearing Miss Jordan read The One and Only Ivan! It’s a really great book!

I think that The One and Only Ivan book was a wonderful! Katherine Applegate is a great author!

I through out the book I felt:
    •Sad
    •Dissapointed
    •Angry
    •Happy.
    In the book I also thought that a few parts were funny 🙂 . When you think of it, this book is based on a true story so it makes it more sadder then when you don’t think about it.

I think the characters in this book are awesome! The ones that are not true are very creative!

If you like like horses here is a book you might like. It is called A Horse To Remember by Julia Hutchings.

Who was your favourite character from The One and Only Ivan?
    Who is your favourite author?

Make sure to keep reading! 🙂

Bye,
    Eevie 😉

2. Dear grade 4’s
    I really enjoyed the book The one and only Ivan.
    In the book there were a lot of different emotions. Some were:
    Sad
    Happy
    Angry
    And other emotions.

Most of the characters in this book were really nice but some mean. Here are some opinions I think of Ivan, Ruby and Bob.
    Ivan: kind, a leader, thoughtful and promising. You can rely on Ivan.
    Ruby: funny, happy and sad. Ruby is a very sweet and a kind elephant.
    Bob: wise, funny and sleepy. Bob is a dog that can give you some helpful advice.

Some messages I thought of are…
    Never give up
    Don’t think you can’t do something when you can
    Have faith in yourself
    Believe in yourself

A book that I recommend for 4A and 4B is …..
    Thea Stilton and The Secret Of The Fairies.
    You can find that book in the library.

Have you read any of Thea Stiltons books?
    There is a lot of them.

Bye,
    Anna

3. Dear 4a/b,

I loved the book “the one and only Ivan” because of the feelings in it. I loved how it was mixed with a bit of humor, emotion and happiness.

I think “the one and only Ivan” is an amazing true story anbout Ivan and how he didn’t give up hope and kept being nice to everyone even though he was depressed.

I think one of the most important messages is to keep going and to never stop because it might happen and to just stay happy and believe in yourself.

I think book for a lot of the students in 4a/b should try the book “doubting Thomas” because it’s an interesting book and I’m not going to say much but, it’s a fun type of book, until about the 115th page…….

See ya later
    Ané

4. Hi everyone,

I thought the characters in the book were really really good even though same were not real. But I like reading books about things that happen. My favourite character was Ivan and bob they were both really funny. My favourite thing abut Ivan is that he is an artist. When I grow up I want to become an artis. And bob is just funny that’s what I like about him.

Who was your favourite character ?

Have you read any books from the same aurthor?

Chat soon Mitch

5. Dear 4A and 4B,
    I thought the book the one and only ivan was a great detailed book based on Ivan’s real life I enjoyed reading this book and making summerese on the story.

I thought the characters where great even if most of them where made up.my favourite character was bob he’s really funny and helpful.

I’d recommend the Hobbit it’s full of action and adventure and mysterious lands.

Sincerely
    Indi