Dynamic Division!

This week we have been improving our division skills.

Specifically, our learning focus has been: To apply appropriate strategies to solve division equations mentally.

Our goal by the end of the year is to have automatic recall of all division facts up to 10 x 10.

In order to improve our mental division strategies, we completed a variety of lessons practising several helpful strategies.

Some of these strategies are:

• Skip counting
  • Counting on from a known fact
  • Using inverse operations (this is the relationship between multiplication and division).

Some division facts lend themselves to specific strategies. For example:

When you ÷1, the answer will always be the number you started with

When you ÷ 2, you can just halve the number you started with

When you ÷ 4, you can halve the number you started with, and then halve your answer

When you ÷ 8, you can halve the number you started with, then halve your answer, then halve your answer again.

We discussed that all division problems can be solved using your knowledge of multiplication!

***

Of course, sometimes the number you start with (the dividend) isn’t evenly divisible by the number of groups (divisor). In this case, you have remainders. During the week, students used their times tables and skip counting skills to solve a variety of remainder problems.

During the week, students could challenge themselves by using larger dividends and divisors to extend their knowledge.

***

One of our activities this week involved students selecting a variety of dominoes and using the number of dots on each side of the domino to form a fact family of multiplication and division equations. Fact families come from the inverse operation relationship between multiplication and division.

The slideshow below has images of dominoes. Try to say or write the multiplication and division fact family using the number of dots on each domino to create inverse operations.

***

What have you learnt about division this week?

How have your mental strategies improved?

Do you have any division tips?

When do you use division in real life?

5 thoughts on “Dynamic Division!

1. Hi Miss Jordan,

I have been having a really good time learning about division. Miss Curtain has been doing some strategies like if you can divide by 2s you can divide by 16s you just divide the answer until you make it to 16s. What is your favourite strategy for division?

From Will

2. Hi Miss Jordan,

I feel I have improved LOTS on my division facts. I also happened to make up my own strategy…. If it was 32 divided by 2, I break it up into 22 divided by 2 and then halve that witch is 11, you also have ten left over because the equation used to be 32 divided by 2 so you add on 5 and your answer is 16. You can also do it dividing by 4,8 and so on.

My mental strategies have improved heaps and now I just need to learn dividing by, 6s, 7s, 9s, and 12s. With most division, you need to learn your times but some, there are some separate strategies.

Hope to hear from you if you have the time,

Rachel

3. Dear 4B,

I have learned that the halving strategy really helps solve big equations.
    My mental strategies have really improved!
    You use division if you’re building or planning.

From your class mate Jarrah!

4. Hi 4B,
    I feel like I am really good at division now. I have learnt so much more about division.

For division you have to know your time tables. My favourite strategy is the halving strategy.

From Charlotte

5. Hi 4B

I like your idea of learning about division. Only tonight Ginger was explaining to me that you halve the number to get the answer. Now that I have read your topic and how you explain to 4B how to divide, I can understand why Ginger was saying you halve it. Makes sense now!

Sorry Ginger, but you are correct!! (Silly mum!!)

Danni