Our inquiry topic for this term is called First Contacts.
In this history based unit, students will explore:
- Indigenous history of the eighteenth century
- The lives of the Aborginal people at this time
- Those who travelled to Australia on the First Fleet.
Some of our focus questions this term will be:
- What was life like for Aboriginal people before the arrival of the Europeans?
- What was life like in Britain in the eighteenth century?
- Why did the Europeans settle in Australia?
- What were the early interactions like between the Aboriginal people and the European settlers?
Each student also identified a “wondering” they have about this topic. Throughout the term, as we build our knowledge, we will be able to answer our wonderings.
Today we focussed on how the indigenous Australians lived. We learnt about how they used the environment to survive, the resources they made, family life, and the roles of men and women.
The students have enjoyed the introductory lessons in this unit of work. We are all looking forward to learning more about Australia’s history.