Anzac Day

Tomorrow is ANZAC Day.

Photo courtesy of http://en.wikipedia.org/

On the 25th April each year we remember the bravery and sacrifice of all soldiers who have served our country in times of war.

ANZAC, stands for

Australian
New Zealand
Army
Corps

The ANZAC tradition began during World War I when Australian and allied troops landed in 1915 at Gallipoli, Turkey.

This year is particularly significant as we commemorate 100 years since the soldiers arrived at Anzac Cove in Gallipoli.

The Last Post is often played on a bugle to remember those who fought in wars and didn’t return home.

The Last Post (tip: right click and select “open in new tab” to play)

In our class we enjoy watching stories on Behind the News (BTN), a student-friendly news program which airs on ABC television and online.

Below are some archived Anzac Day stories that have featured on BTN over the years. Watch them to learn more about this significant national event.

Do you know any more information about ANZAC day?

What special events are held on ANZAC day?

What do you and your family do on ANZAC day?

16 thoughts on “Anzac Day

1. To 4B,
    Anzac Day is a very special day. Especially because it is the 100th year since the soldiers went to Gallipoli. Did you know that the last soldier from the war died in 2003? My great great great grandfather fought in the war. Some people went to the war when they were 14! They were really young. They were something we should not forget about because they sacrificed their lives to help our country be better in the future.

Did anyone in your family fight in war?
    Happy Anzac day,
    From Rachel✌️

2. Hi Miss Jordan,

Over the weekend I went to the Anzac memorial service. It was quite a grey day, but there were still hundreds of people there that I have never seen before. It’s really good that more and more people are participating in this solemn event. There was a lot of talking involved.
    Then we had one minute of silence with the first post trailing behind it.
    The service really made you feel/remember the boys of Australia/New Zealand that made the ultimate sacrifice.

Lest we forget,
    From Val.

• Hi Val,

Over the grey weekend, I got to march at the Barwon Heads Anzac memorial service/solemn event. There were hundreds of people. There were hundreds of people participating and I was just one of those many men and women.

Which service did you go to?

Lest we forget,

• Hi Flynn H and Val,

The service I went to was at Point Danger which was magnificent. The scenery was just like Anzac Cove. The place where the young fighting men took to scramble over the uneasy rocks.

Lest we forget and we will never forget those who fought,

Ted

3. Hello Miss Jordan and class,

Back in 2013 I had set myself an ANZAC Day task. I wanted to film the ceremonies in the towns of the schools I worked with if they have ANZAC Day ceremonies. Only one doesn’t because the school has only one teacher and isn’t in a town. I won’t be finished the task until 2018, 100 years after WWI ended.

Why so long? Many have ceremonies at the same time so I can’t see them all in the same year. In 2013, I visited two towns. In 2014, I managed four. This year, the 100th anniversary of the original ANZAC Day, I filmed the dawn ceremony in one town and the march and ceremony in our area’s main town of Bega.

So many people were at each ceremony I visited this year and I think I have some wonderful film clips to edit. Once done, I give free copies of the DVDs I make to the local school, to those organising their town’s parade and often one to the service people taking art in each town.

Why do I care? I had a great uncle (my father’s uncle) who lost his life in WWI in France. I also had uncles in the three services (army, navy, airforce) in WWII. My father also served in the army in WWII. I remember them each ANZAC Day.

In 2016 I plan to visit two more towns, one in 2017, and the final in 2018. The whole task will take 6 years but create some wonderful multimedia memoiries of what has happened.

Ross Mannell
    Teacher (retired), N.S.W., Australia

4. Dear 4B,
    I think ANZAC day is important because if those men hadn’t fought in the war we probably wouldn’t have this freedom. I hope there are no more wars because life would be harsh and we would have to leave home to go to somewhere safe, and leaving my parents will break my heart.

On ANZAC day our family make ANZAC biscuits and, well, this year we are going shopping for my dad’s birthday. I haven’t ever been in a dawn service, and they sound like fun, exept for one little thing. They start at dawn, which means we have to get up early.

There is dawn services and parades all day long. At school we had an ANZAC ceremony, and the grade 5’s organised it. It was very sombre and quiet.

This year we tried to go shopping for my dad’s birthday. It was really hard because all the shops were closed, exept for hospitals. we never go to any parades/services, and I don’t know why.

We will remember them. Lest we forget,
    Jema!

5. Hi 4B,
    ANZAC day is a very important day. This year it will be the 100th year since the Australians and New Zealand landed at Gallipoli. ANZAC stands for Australia and New Zealand Army Corpe.On the 25/04/15 I went with my family to the Queenscliff dawn service.

From Charlotte

6. Hello 4B
    I have enjoyed hearing about everything you have learnt at school this year about ANZAC Day and all the brave men and women who fought to protect our country. I especially liked hearing about Simpson and his donkey, Murphy. Simpson and Murphy displayed fantastic courage didn’t they?

We were away for ANZAC Day and ending up going to an ANZAC service in the small country town of Cobden. It was great to see the pride that is so obviously displayed the whole way around Australia. It certainly made me stand tall and proud to be an Australian.

I am so thankful for the country that we live in.
    Narelle

• Hi Mum

Thank you for repliying on our blog.
      When did you learn that Simpson’s donkey was named Murphy?

From Toby

7. Hi 4B

It’s Ginger’s mum here! I like the idea of the family blogging for the month of May!

I thought I’d share with you what our family did on Anzac Day. My husband, Aaron attended the dawn service in Ocean Grove, luckily the rain held off! The rest of us had a nice sleep in! (I’m not sure if that’s good or bad on Anzac Day- what do you think about that?)

We then all walked down to Hitchcock and met with friends at Starfish whilst we watched all the soldiers and their families walk by. We then listened to the Special Anzac Service outside the community hall. It was a fantastic morning and especially to see so many of you there! It wasn’t long ago and there were only a handful of people on Anzac Day parade in Hitchcock.

I’m interested to hear your thoughts on my question!

See you all,

Danni

8. Hi 4B

This is Ginger’s mum here, Danni. I like your idea of family blogging for the month of May. I must make sure to check my grammar before I submit because that’s what I remind Ginger to do!!

I thought I’d share with you what we did on Anzac Day. My husband (Aaron) attended the dawn service in Ocean Grove, whilst the rest of our family slept in! (I’m not sure if that’s bad or good on Anzac Day?! I’d be interested to hear your comments!

Then around 8am we all walked down to Hitchcock to meet with friends at Starfish to watch the Anzac Parade walk by. There were so many people three, more than I’ve ever seen, it was fantastic! It was lovely to see some of you in the parade with your families.
    We then joined the Anzac Service near the community hall, listening to some of the stories of the soldiers. I was trying not to cry!

Thank you for reading my comments 4B. I’m curious to hear your comments regarding my question above.

Kind Regards

Danni.

9. Hi Miss Jordan,

MY great great grandfather went into war.
    He fought in Gallipoli in World War 1.

I like the parade we just had but it is very sad when they talk of the war.

From Aston

10. Hi Ginger, Aston and Miller,

What a great initiative to create a blog for the month of May. And to have a page on ANZAC seems especially fitting.

I see Aston’s comment about his great great grandfather having fought in WW1. That’s true, and your great grandfather (or Pa’s dad) fought in Egypt in WW2.

Lest we forget. Keep up the good work kids,

Lee

11. Hello 4B

Anzac is important to me, I remember how lucky I am. My father was in the war and he was very lucky to come home. I have been to the Anzac dawn service in Melbourne. The service is very moving (sad) but you see all the old Diggers marching with their medals. I am very proud to see my dad with his medals on. This is also Tobys Great Grandfather.
    Do any other children have family that have medals?

From Helen (Toby’s Gran)

12. Dear Bloggers,
    our names are Ned & Alex. We have learnt ANZAC cookies are called ANZAC cookies. Thank you for sharing with us.

From NED & Alex