Last Week Of Term Two

We have had an action packed last week of term.

Student/Parent/Teacher Interviews

During the week, BHPS held our annual student/parent/teacher interviews. Students led the interviews by sharing their learning achievements with their parents. The 4B students created presentations on their iPads to reflect on their semester and shared work samples that demonstrated their learning. Students spoke about:

• Semester highlights
  • Areas of success
  • Areas for future improvement
  • Reading
  • Writing
  • Maths
  • Inquiry
  • Specialists
  • iPad Program
  • Friendships.

Everyone spoke clearly and confidently, elaborated on their key points, made eye contact and articulated their learning extremely well. Miss Jordan is very proud of all of the 4B students for their outstanding efforts during the interviews!

***

Genius Hour

In our writing sessions this week, students worked on a Genius Hour project. Genius Hour allows students to explore their own passions and promotes creativity in the classroom. Students are encouraged to think about topics they want to learn more about. The three main components of Genius Hour are:

• Students think of a “big question” they want to find the answer to
  • Students research their chosen question and create a presentation (making a movie, slideshow, poster etc)
  • Students share their work with others.

Today, students presented their Genius Hour projects to the class. Initially, students were going to share in small groups but, by popular demand, everyone shared their work in front of the whole grade. It was great to listen to the presentations and the students clearly enjoyed learning from each other!

There was a very broad range of topics covered, including specific topics in the following categories:

• Historical events
  • Different countries
  • Instructional tutorials
  • How things work
  • Animals
  • Sports
  • Technology

***

Book Reports

This week, students created book reports with a twist. Instead of a traditional book report, students made “books on a box”. We used a variety of the reading strategies we have covered this term to:

• Design a new front cover for the book
  • Summarise the novel
  • Write character profiles
  • Record interesting vocabulary
  • Rate the book out of five stars.

The students work was stuck to cereal boxes so we now have a colourful collection of three dimensional book reports!

***

Board Game Bonanza

To celebrate a fantastic eleven weeks of learning in 4B, we enjoyed a Board Game Bonanza today. Students played a variety of board games or card games in pairs or small groups. It was great to see the students enjoying the games…amidst some friendly competitiveness!

***

After a busy term full of fun and learning, we are looking forward to a two week break. We’ll be back at school on Monday 13th July.

Happy holidays!

***

What has been your term two highlight?

Explain your Genuis Hour project.

What did you enjoy about the “book on a box” task?

Do you have a favourite board game?

What are you looking forward to on the holidays?

11 thoughts on “Last Week Of Term Two

1. Dear Alex,

What a big last week! You will definitely need two weeks holidays to recover from that week.

I love playing monopoly, the board game. What’s your favourite board game? Did you get to play it at school this week?

What are you going to do over the holidays? You are always very busy so I’m sure the break won’t be an exception.

From your friends,
    Cassie, Jacqui, Dr Beck, Aaron, Ellesha and Chelsea

• Hi Alex,

How was your trip to Apollo Bay? What did you do? What was your favourite activity?

I have been to Greensborough plaza to get some lunch after work last week.

Cassie

2. Hi Miss Jordan,

My genius hour project was about the human brain. I explained the 5 lobes in the human brain and I included some really interesting cool facts and lastly what the human brain actually does for us. I thought this task was very helpful, because these tasks do increase the knowledge in my brain! I would really love to do more of these over the next semester Miss Jordan, so keep it up.
    Have a nice holiday 4b, BUT KEEP BLOGGING! Bye from Val.

Yesterday I saw the Circus Oz in Melbourne and same upside down bells named the Federation bells. The bells played the Bombers and Demons theme songs right outside the circus.

From Sarah.

4. Hi 4b,
    What I enjoyed most about doing the book report was drawing a front cover. I love drawing, who doesn’t! My book was ‘Harry Potter and the philosopher’s stone’, I chose it because it’s my favourite book (obviously). I rated my book precisely 10/10, and it was only suitable for ages that could read.
    I would be delighted if somebody replied back to me or even if they looked at it.
    There are a selection of Harry potter books on iBooks at a reasonable price.

Ciao 4b, from Val.

5. To miss Jordan,
    I had a great holidays and nothing could have been better! It was fun but my activitys were just playing with my friends! Can’t you belive it? Can’t wait to really get into term three!
    From your hard working student, RACHEL

6. To 4B,
    I really enjoyed making the book in a box and think I did quite well actually. Everybody’s looked fabulous and looked like they put a lot of time and effort. I can tell you for a fact that that is what we did. We put a lot of time and effort into them.
    From RACHEL

7. Hi 4B

In the last week before the holidays summer and I went to the staff meeting. We talked about the positives and the negatives out our school, for a positive I said the iPad program is a very good way to learn.

You might have some positives or some negatives

From Rex

8. Dear 4B,
    I went on the Ottway fly walk in the treetops and went to big 4 we stayed in screens creek in Apollo bay
    From Alex