Mathematical Word Problems

This week in maths, we have been working on solving and creating mathematical word problems.

We have focussed on addition and subtraction for our word problems and will extend our knowledge to multiplication and division word problems soon. We solve mathematical problems in real life all the time, so it is important we keep developing our skills in this area of maths.

We discussed the important steps required to successfully solve a word problem. They are:

• Read the word problem carefully
  • Highlight the key words
  • Eliminate unnecessary information
  • Identify what the problem is asking you to work out
  • Decide what process/processes you need to use to solve the problem (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division)
  • Solve the problem
  • Double check your answer.

We solved a variety of single-step and multi-step word problems as a class and individually, and it was essential that all mathematical processes were recorded in our maths books.

Then it was time to create our own addition and subtraction word problems! You can read a selection of them in the slideshow below.

***

What did you think of our word problems?

When have you had to solve a mathematical word problem in real life?

Can you write an addition or subtraction word problem in your comment?

4 thoughts on “Mathematical Word Problems

1. Hi Miss Jordan
    I recently stumbled across your blog and thought I would say hi. I’m teaching Year 4 at Banksia Beach in QLD. Next week, one of our maths rotations will be answering 4B’s word problems! We look forward to following you. You can find our blog at http://thorburnsclass.blogspot.com.au

• Dear Jessica,

I hope your students enjoy solving our word problems. 4B really enjoyed creating them! We will be sure to check out your blog soon.

Thanks for the comment!

Kelly Jordan

2. Dear 4B
    Your maths word problems were interesting to read and fun to do. I really enjoyed looking at the settings you used- down the street, at the zoo and at the Footy. great work.