This week in maths, we have been working on solving and creating mathematical word problems.
We have focussed on addition and subtraction for our word problems and will extend our knowledge to multiplication and division word problems soon. We solve mathematical problems in real life all the time, so it is important we keep developing our skills in this area of maths.
We discussed the important steps required to successfully solve a word problem. They are:
- Read the word problem carefully
- Highlight the key words
- Eliminate unnecessary information
- Identify what the problem is asking you to work out
- Decide what process/processes you need to use to solve the problem (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division)
- Solve the problem
- Double check your answer.
We solved a variety of single-step and multi-step word problems as a class and individually, and it was essential that all mathematical processes were recorded in our maths books.
Then it was time to create our own addition and subtraction word problems! You can read a selection of them in the slideshow below.