In 4B, we are always working hard to improve our vocabularies.
Having a good vocabulary assists us with reading, writing, speaking and listening. To improve our vocabularies in class we:
- Identify interesting words in the texts we read during our whole class mini lessons
- Implement the “Expanding Vocabulary” component of the CAFE reading approach
- Maintain an individual “interesting word list” on our iPads
- Clarify unique or unfamiliar words during Guided Reading and Reciprocal Reading sessions
- Investigate synonyms and antonyms
- Discuss the words that authors use in their books
- Focus on the “word choice” writing trait.
This term as an extra homework task, each student will present some interesting words to the class. We have already had six students prepare and share their words with the class. The students write their words on cards for our class vocabulary wall.
Val, Emma, Jarrah, Rachel, Ted and Rocker also prepared a slideshow of their words for the class. You can view their slides below.