Maths in 4B

We do maths every day in our classroom.

The structure of our maths lessons is:

1. A warm up activity – A short, fun game or task to get our minds ready for maths.

2. Tuning in – We discuss the concept we are learning about. We always have a learning focus and success criteria. This helps us to understand what we need to achieve in the lesson. We regularly discuss maths vocabulary, use the interactive whiteboard and view a demonstration of the main task during our tuning in.

3. Main activity – We focus on the specific maths concept by participating in an interactive game with a partner, using hands-on resources to work on different strategies, completing an open-ended problem solving task or doing independent practice.

4. Reflection – We share the mathematical strategies used to complete the main activity. We often discuss how this maths concept can apply to real life and why it is important to learn. We come back to the learning focus and success criteria to determine how we went and whether we achieved the learning goals for the lesson.

***

For one of our maths sessions this week, we were lucky to have our school maths coach, Mrs Hillbrick, participate. Here’s how our lesson went…

Warm up – We started our maths session with the warm up game, Hit The Target. We played in pairs with a deck of cards. We chose what the target number would be. Then we each turned over four cards from the deck and tried to make the target number by using some or all of the numbers on the cards with any of the four processes (addition, subtraction, multiplication and division). It’s a great way to practise our number skills!

Tuning in – The mathematical skills and knowledge we covered in this lesson was part of our Patterns and Algebra unit. We discussed the learning focus and success criteria with Mrs Hillbrick.

Our learning focus was:

We are learning to create a pattern.

Our success criteria was:

We can:

• Investigate a rule
  • Test a pattern
  • Identify and test a rule
  • Strategise.

P1100829

We then investigated a number pattern, made by Mrs Hillbrick on milk bottle tops, to determine the rule that was used to create the pattern.

P1100831

These were the numbers in the pattern:

2    5    11    23    47    95    191    383    767

We had to work out the rule that was used to create that pattern.

Most of us could identify that the rule was “x 2 + 1“. This was correct!

However, Sarah identified another way that the pattern could be created! We tested her rule and she was also correct! Can you work it out? It provided a great discussion and it demonstrated to everyone, including Miss Jordan and Mrs Hillbrick, just how interesting number patterns are!

Main activity – Mrs Hillbrick provided us with different rules on a folded kinder square.

P1100848

We then had to create a number pattern using the rule we each received. The rule was folded down so no one could see it!

We then swapped our work with a partner. Our job was to investigate the pattern and identify the rule that was used to create that pattern.

Reflection – We discussed the strategies that we used to create a pattern and test a rule. There were many different strategies adopted! To determine which strategy was deemed the most effective during this task, students had to “hot spot” their preferred method of working. Using multiplication and division facts was the most popular strategy used.

Rex

We determined that we had been successful in this lesson because we achieved our success criteria. By the end of the session, we had investigated a rule, tested a pattern, identified the rule and tested our partner’s pattern and used a variety of mathematical strategies in the process!

***

Thanks to Mrs Hillbrick for helping us with this great maths task!

We love being mathematicians!

***

What did you enjoy about this lesson?

What mathematical strategies did you use?

Can you create a number pattern with a secret rule for others to solve?

What is your favourite maths topic?

5 thoughts on “Maths in 4B

1. Hi 4B,

My main strategy was looking at the first four numbers in the pattern and test it. If it was correct I would keep going.

My favourite maths topic is measurement and patterns and Algebra.
    Here is a pattern;

1,1,2,3,5,8,13,21,34,55

From the class mathematician,
    Flynn.H

2. To 4/B And Miss Jordan

The Maths activities where awesome! I loved the section with Miss Hillbrike. I found out lots more things.

Our little group on the floor worked out lots of mathematic Problems

3. To 4/B And Miss Jordan

From Ebony

4. Dear 4B,
    My partner was Jeremy. He had a really tricky rule. Never less, I figured it out in 2 minutes. I thought my rule was advanced, x 4 – 2 but Jeremy figured it out quickly.

Here is a number pattern for you to solve :
    2 5 14 41 122 365

Can you leave a comment with the answer?

Jema!

5. Hi 4B,

Thank you for being awesome mathematicians last week! You were very effective at identifying the rule of a pattern.

Congratulations!
    Mrs H