Reader’s Workshop in 3/4C

Reading is a big part of our day.

We use the CAFE model in our Literacy Block every day. Each week we focus on a different reading strategy in class. CAFE is an acronym for Comprehension, Accuracy, Fluency and Expand vocabulary. All of these areas of reading are extremely important and good readers know they need to read regularly to improve their skills.

We have a Reading Menu in our classroom. At the end of each week we put a strategy card on the menu.

***

This week, our reading strategy is Check for Understanding.

P1110248

When we check for understanding while reading a novel, we need to pause after reading a page or two and ask ourselves three questions:

1. What just happened in the story?
  2. Who was in that part of the story?
  3. Where was that part of the story set?

This comprehension strategy help readers to understand their texts, and we will continue to build on our comprehension as the year progresses.

***

After working on our reading strategies collectively as a class each morning, the students then participate in 15 minutes of independent reading. During this time, they practise the strategy independently while reading “good fit” books.

P1110251

***

What reading strategies do you use?

What areas of reading do you want to work on this year?

What books do you like to read?

8 thoughts on “Reader’s Workshop in 3/4C

1. Dear 3/4C,
    I hope everybody is reading every night. Read your library books like i am! My favourite books are by Jacqueline Wilson. She is very famous. I have read most of her books. I borrowed 2 out of the library today. Miss Jordan is checking our diary for our books tomorrow. Good luck!
    Best wishes, Charlotte×××

I have really enjoyed learning how to check for understanding I have had a great time I learnt the three questions number one is… What just happened? Number two is… Who was in the story? Number three is.. Where was it set? Checking for understanding is so much fun. Any one can do it if they just try.

From Jasmine

3. Dear wonderful class (3/4C),
    I hope everyone is having a splendid weekend. I know i am! On Wednesday i am going to Tasmania to be a flower girl at my auntie’s wedding for a whole week. I am going on the spirit of Tasmania to get there. Anyway hope everyone is reading!
    Charlotte××××××

4. Dear 3/4c,
    I hope everyone had a great time researching the strategy check for understanding a few days ago.I’m wondering if all of you have loved starting to borrow more books from the library because I know I am.Lately I got a new fish and we called it Saturn.If you ‘r wondering the tipe of fish is a fighter fish Whitchurch lives for 5 years.
    From Chloe

5. Hi Kids,
    I hope you are all enjoying your reading. I love books. Nothing makes me happier than a great read.
    Keep up the good work!
    Danielle