Writing From A Photo

Good writers can create a picture in their readers’ minds.

They can do this by:

• using interesting vocabulary
  • elaborating on details
  • showing, rather than telling, some of the details
  • describing all five senses (what can be seen, heard, tasted, felt and smelt)
  • using lots of adjectives (describing words) and verbs (doing words)
  • using synonyms (words with similar meanings) to make interesting word choices.

***

During our writing sessions over the past two weeks, students have been writing entries in their Writer’s Notebooks. Our lessons included:

• Writing “free choice” entries from the Ideas Page in the Writer’s Notebooks
  • Using sensory details in writing
  • Writing about the environment around us
  • Writing from a photo
  • Using the “show me, don’t tell me” technique to enhance writing.

***

All students brought in a photo from home to use as inspiration for a piece of writing. We focussed on including sensory details and adjectives. Everyone did a great job! Below is the writing by the 3/4C students. Enjoy!

Tip – Open in full screen to view in a larger format.

***

Were there any particular words or sentences you enjoyed from the students’ writing?

How has your writing improved?

What writing activity have you enjoyed so far this year?

Do you have a writing goal for this year?

45 thoughts on “Writing From A Photo

1. Goodness me this writing is amazing, it’s so good to see this pictures that you have painted in our imagination. I think a few of you are budding authors.
    You really have enjoyed this topic. Creative writing form all of you. Well done
    Banjo R grandma

• Dear Maggie,
      I know that the writing is fantastic. It was so much fun writing the entry. Banjos entry was outstanding. I wish I could write like him!
      From Monty.

• Dear Magy

I also agree with you that everyone in the class has done a fantastic job with there entry’s. Thank you so much for taking your time to coment on our blog

From Banjo R

• Dear 3/4C
      Thank you Maggie for commenting on our blog and I have really enjoyed this topic and I hope everyone has also enjoyed whiting because this topic is amazing to learn about.
      My writing has inproved because I have learnt how to use interesting words.
      From Molly

• Dear maggie
      Thank you for commenting
      On our blog this year. We have
      Enjoy reading all of your comments
      Everyone has enjoyed
      Writing . Today for writing
      We are on the blog

• Dear Maggie
      Thankyou For Replying on our blog I appreciate you spending your time on this. My Favourite was Molly’s.

• Hi Maggie,
      It is so great you leave comments on our blog! You are always the first one. We always look at your comments on the whiteboard! Thank you, Charlotte from grade three, 3/4C! Xxx

• Dear Maggie,

Thank you for commenting on our blog. You are 3/4C’s blogging superstar. Please keep commenting.
      From Ruby

2. Hello everyone,
    I enjoyed writing up those big amounts of writing and describing that great moment.
    Hope everyone enjoyed From Calum.

3. To 3/4C,
    I liked reading the reading about the photos.
    Especially the word choice and adjectives.
    What was your photo about.
    From Mitch

• Dear Mitch,
      I read your awesome photo writing and was very impressed, and I have seen Maisie and she is adorable, I felt like I was there beside you, because it was the best story from a pitchure I’d ever read. And I hope you continue to make absolutely awesome story’s in the future. From your friend Joshua

4. dear miss Jordan

I think that writing is so much fun my
    favourite trait for writing is probably
    writing narratives they are so much fun
    to write.

From Valla

• Hi valla,
      I also like to writing narratives too,this week we have been invested more of narratives it was really enjoyable. I can’t wait for them to be finished.
      See you soon Meg

5. Dear Miss Jordon,
    I really enjoyed writing about a photo and it really made us independent this week, I had a excellent time doing it and can’t wait to do the narratives this year yours sincerely Josh

• To Josh,
      I liked reading your story about your little kittens.
      The start of your story got my attention.
      Your scincerly Mitch

6. Dear 3/4C
    I loved reading the story’s. I could really picture theme in my head. I really want to do them again throughout the year. The pictures make me want to be there.

From Bruno

7. Dear Maggie,
    Thank you for adding a comment to our blog. We really appreciate it. You went out of your time to post a comment. I loved doing my writing photo it was so much fun.

My goal is to get better at my word choice.

My writing has improved so much I don’t know how it seems like magic.

From Jasmine

8. Dear 3/4c,
    When I fist took a glimpse of the writing from a photo slide show I read through a few of them and I couldn’t believe how amazing and descriptive all of your writing was.I hope we get some time to do something like that again some day and I can’t wait to start writing our narratives sooner or later.
    From Chloe

writing was heaps of fun. I loved reading Safari adventure. Banjo has lots of amazing word choice. I bet Banjo had heaps of fun.

My favourite writing activity was writing about the photo. Ningaloo was so much fun. It is a beautiful reef. You should go there. I know you will have so much fun snorkelling. (If you like snorkelling).

From Monty.

10. Dear miss Jordan,
    I am really looking forward to improving my punctuation. I am ready for what ever yo throw at me. I think already learning things with our even notesing it,
    From Bronte

• Hi Bronte your writing is amazing you use really good word choice like: gobsmacking, tension and performance.

I know how you feel on stage because I did ballet last year and I had to do a performance, it was my 1st one.

I hope you keep using really good words in your writing.

From Ruby

11. Dear 3/4c,
    I have improved on my story writing over the past few years and I would like my writing goal to be improveing on my story writing some more.
    So far I have this year in writing is our first lesson on writing.
    From meg

• Hi meg

I am so exited for writing narratives it is lots of fun because you can make up what you want to. it is my favourite writing trait. I just love writing so so so much. 🙂 from Valla

12. Dear 3/4C,

I think my writing has improved because I’m using better words in sentences. My favourite activitie so far this year is writing from a photo. My writing goal for this year would be to use really good words. With the other students writing I like these words: tranquil, majestic, stunningly beautiful, scurrying, bumpy, joyful and glowing.
    From Ruby

13. Dear 3/4C
    it looks like a Authors work it justs outstands me. Can we do more of the later in the year???
    Can we write picture book about it???
    from Leni

• Dear Leni,
      I’m thinking the same as you. All of the writing is just outstanding and the best it could be. I am bursting with excitement and all ready for writing narratives.
      Senceirly Chloe

14. I loved reading your beautiful writing 3/4C. You certainly achieved your goal of taking the reader on the experience with you. Looking forward to reading more from you all soon. Thank you for sharing.
    PS. I also love the generous comments that you are posting about each other’s work.
    From Katie , Banjo R’s Mum

• Dear mum

I am really enjoying you and others posting comments on our blog I hope everyone else’s loved reading you post. I think everyone in the class loved writing those entire’s

From Banjo R

• Hi Katie,
      It is so nice that you are reading the blog. Banjo’s story was amazing. I hoped that you liked it!
      Monty

15. The writing from photos you kids have done is wonderful. I was completely transported by each and every one. I feel like I’ve had lots of adventures. Thank you.

16. Dear 3/4c

I really enjoyed writing about our pictures on the iPad I thought it was a great way to express our writing and capture a small moment in the readers mind.

I think everyone has done a fantastic job of capturing a moment of there pictures. I hope everyone has a great time reading them at home or school and replie to our blog

From Banjo R ⚽️

17. Dear Class, because I’m a grandma, and not very good on my iPad. I had no idea you have been commenting on my blog. I feel so pleased with your kind comments.
    I love to hear what you are doing from Miss Jordan, I’m far away in England and yet I feel part of school.
    I hope to be in Australia in December, and perhaps Miss Jordan will let me say thank you to you all . Maggie Banjo R s grandma

• You are a super star at writing comments you write the most comments You write more than our class thank a lot
      from 3/4C

18. Dear 3/4c,
    I think we have an amazing bunch of writers in this grade. Just by reading the text it’s feels like its traveling you through a huge amount of different worlds and completely different experiences. I think that you all should be very super proud of your work that you’ve done.
    From Chloe

• Hi Chloe
      It’s true we have a amazing bunch of writers
      In this class. just by reading all great writing
      It feels like we are time traveling through a place
      Were there is a lot of very good writer

Sincerely Elisse

My writing goal throughout the year is to write neatly.

My favourite writing activity was writing from a photo. Also blogging.

From Bruno

20. Dear 3/4c,
    Keep up the exciting work,its great that you can share it with the whole world. This morning Bronte and I were working on our four times table. See you soon.
    from Bronte’s Dad,
    Paul

• Dear Paul,
      Thanks so much for spending time on our blog. It’s so good that you have been doing the times tables.
      Kind regards,
      Monty.

21. Dear 3/4C,
    I think my writing has improved in the last weeks we have been at school. I love the writers notebook especially. The writing from the photo was both amazing and it was really good for our writing. I read through them all and I think we all did a great job! Well done!
    Best wishes, Charlotte from 3/4c. Xx

22. Dear 3/4C,
    I don’t know about you, but I think that writing from a photo has been a real hit. When I read some of your story’s I can really picture it in my head. I also think that miss Jordan is going to teach us kids some awesome facts. By for now.
    From Bronte

23. Dear 3/4C I love riting story’s,I think our riting pieces will be great to put up when there done
    I love riting do you?