A Question For Family Members: What Technology Did You Use When You Were Younger?

This blog post is for parents, family members, family friends and anyone else who would like to comment!

This term, 3/4C students have been learning about how to be safe online. We have covered topics including:

• Online ettiquette
  • Protecting personal information
  • Digital footprints
  • How technology has changed over time.

3/4C students are very lucky to be involved in the 1:1 iPad Program. With all students having access to an iPad, our learning adventures in 2016 are very exciting!

We have interactive whiteboards in every classroom at our school, and they are also great learning tools. We use the internet regularly to discover and learn about the world we live in. Our class blog is another source of technology and communication.

The 3/4C students enjoy using their own devices at home for learning and for fun. Some popular portable devices include the iPad, iPod, Wii, X-box, PlayStation and digital camera.

***

Miss Jordan remembers using Commodore 64 desktop computers and game consoles such as the Atari and Sega when she was young. Technology has changed a lot since then!

The slideshow below shows some of the different forms of technology Miss Jordan used when she was younger. Parents and other family members will probably recognise a lot of the images! 🙂

***

We would love to hear from parents, grandparents, other relatives and friends about what technology you used when you were younger and how you have seen technology develop over time. Perhaps you used typewriters, polaroid cameras, turntables, earlier model computers or telegrams? We look forward to learning all about your experiences with technology!

***

What technology did you use when you were younger?

35 thoughts on “A Question For Family Members: What Technology Did You Use When You Were Younger?

1. I remember the first of my friends who got a mobile phone. And we were 26 years old!
    It was practically the size of a brick and he had to carry around a big battery to plug it into. We thought it was super cool and very special. He only had one because he needed it for his job. But soon enough alot of people started to get one. And look at us now – even children have mobile phones.

• Dear Mum,
      3/4C really appreciates that you have left a comment. It would be so hard for all the kids in our class to be born in that stage of life. We have learnt lots of things from miss Jordan, and the first time she mentioned a game boy I wanted one.
      From Bronte.☎️

• Dear Amy
      Thank you for commenting on our blog I loved the expression you used and I will be shore to use it when I get a chance. Thank you again for leaving a comment, 3/4c really appreciate it, we hope to get more parents leaving a comment.
      From Molly

2. Hello Mrs Jordan’s class
    I was born in the 1960’s. In the 1970’s at the age of about 10, my prized possession was a portable record player very similar to the ones pictured here – http://www.retrotogo.com/2012/07/ebay-watch-1960s-fidelity-and-wye-portable-record-players.html.

A friend of the family was getting rid of it and passed it on to me along with lots of ‘singles’, also pictured, which had a song on either side. My favourite was ‘My Generation’ by the Who.
    Mrs Ower
    http://gillower.primaryblogger.co.uk/

• Hi Mrs Ower,
      It is great for you to leave a comment all the way from Spain. We really appreciate you spending your time just to write a comment on our blog, thank you. I wonder what it was like to use a big record player.
      From Ruby ( one of Miss Jordan’s students)

• Hello again Ruby
        You are very welcome. It is such a great blog and it’s brilliant to read about all the things your class is learning about.

As for the record player, I absolutely loved it, as for the first time I could listen to music in my own bedroom. The only bad thing about it was that it was very, very heavy. So, although it was portable, I didn’t carry it around much!

I wonder how many times heavier it was than an iPod!

All the best
        Mrs Ower

• Hi Mrs Ower,
          I would think that your record player is a lot heavier than an iPod. If I had a record player like yours I wouldn’t have take it anywhere really. Please keep commenting on our blog.
          From Ruby

3. We had calculators in the classroom to help us with maths. There were word processors for writing. There were no computers, internet, no mobile phones. We had video recorders to play movies and CD players to listen to music. There was no foxtell or netflix. We had cameras with film that you took to the shop to get developed. There were no digital cameras. (Rachel Grace)

4. Oh dear I think I can beat all of that!!! I was born in 1941, yes so old.
    My dad had a camera called a Box Brownie, it took spools of film by Kodak. Our Radio was very important, as it warned the country of air raids during the war, so that we could all shelter.
    We didn’t have a telephone in the house,but my parents had to go to the red telephone box in the street to call,family or the doctor.
    Our records for music were black and heavy, and guess what, we had to wind up our gramophone. What would my parents think of Skype, when I can see and talk to our family in Australia.AMAZING. Banjo Rs grandma

• Dear Maggie,
      It would be annoying to go outside and go find a red telephone box if you wanted to call someone. We are so lucky to have lots of useful technology these days. We are also lucky to have TVs remotes.
      Sincerely,
      Monty

• Dear grandma

I really appreciate you commenting on our blog I hope everyone in the class dos too. I can’t believe that you had phones the dive of a brick. Was it hard to carry it and was it heavy the technology must have changed lots. Now all we have to do when we want to call is pull out an IPhone from our pocket. Thanks again for the comment.

From Banjo R

5. Hi Guys,

When I was a kid not so long ago believe it or not Chloe! We played our music on a walkman, which was a little device bigger a bit bigger than a mobile phone and you would slot a tape into it with music on it. We also had portable discman which you put a cd into which had music on it. I remember my dad getting his first mobile phone and it HUGE and certainly wouldn’t fit in your pocket like the phones we now have, it was about nearly as big as a brick. The phones in our home where a big square with a long spiral cord and a dial that you spun – you might need to show them one of these Kelly!
    Big love xx hayley

• Hi mum, hi Hayley,
      These days it’s much different because now we have lots of super smart technology and we all have a light mobile phone. In clas time we get to use iPads that are super smart don’t get us wrong they let us do pretty much everything. Some of the things we get to do on them include : notes, wish ball which is a number game , google docs that we write all of our story’s on , Google slides which is for making slide shows, mathaletics , Google sheets which we use to write things down in columns, popplet which we use for spelling and many more.

Our inquiry topic that we did this term is iPad safety. We have been learning about digital footprints and what to Leave on them, how to pretect our privet information, and how to be safe on an iPad. Because we are luckie enough to have our own iPads we are very carful of not going into any bad things or being friends with kid steelers.

All you guys who are reading this blog comment happy Easter and enjoy the school holidays. Thanks for reading our comment. From Chloe & Leni.

6. Hi 3/4C. I too remember playing on both the Atari and Sega and remember when we got our first house phone (before that we had to walk up to the local phone booth to make a call). We didn’t have a computer and there was no such thing as the internet. I even remember that our TV did not have a remote control so if we wanted to change the channel we had to turn a knob on the TV (and back then there were only 5 TV channels). Technology has certainly changed a lot since then. (Amanda Mayor)

• To Amanda,
      The Atari lactully looked really cool. I wish I had one.
      About the tv I would of been bad only having five channels. If I lived back then I would of changed the channel with a giant stick.
      From Mitch

• Dear Amanda(Mum)
      Hello mum thank you for your lovely comment me and 3/4c certainly learnt a lot of interesting facts about the old technology kind regards Josh you son

7. Hi Class 3/4C,
    We didn’t get our first TV until I was 16 years old and of course it only had black and white pictures. No colour TV in those days! Before then we used to listen to serials and quiz programs on the radio in the evenings. Ruby’s Grandad was much luckier. His family was the second family in Warragul to get a TV in 1956. TV came to Australia in time for the 1956 Olympic Games, which were held in Melbourne. He remembers all the neighbours coming to their home to watch all the Olympic events. Some shops had a TV going in their window and people used to gather around to watch. From Ruby’s Grandma Sue

• Hi grandma,
      It is great that you left a comment on our blog. I think it would be annoying to have to stand around the shops because if you were a kid if would be hard to see. I bet it was exciting when you got your first TV.
      From Ruby

8. Hi everyone,

I don’t remember using a computer until I was in late high school and certainly not at home. I remember when we got out first colour tv, prior to that it was only black and white! We got our first video player in high school but no remote control. Televisions didn’t have remote controls back then either. We had to get out of our chair and change the channel. I used to listen to the radio and have my tape recorder to record music onto a cassette. There were no CDs or iPods. I used to listen to records on a record player. There were no mobile phones. Our home phone had a cord attached and we had to sit in one place. To dial a number you had to turn a dial. Agh they were the days!

9. Hi 3/4C,
    The technology I currently use is a PlayStation 2, playstation 1, WII U no xboxs. I also have two TVS.

I used two have 4 but when my family moved house the people buying ours wanted the two TVS. The popular games I play on my iPad are Clash Royale, WWE immortals and true skate. When my dad was younger he used to have a device called a rebooted and a jumpman. The rebooted was a little chunky device like and iPad but smaller but with not many games. The jumpman was basically the same! The games he played has a boy were jump and get to bed! They probably won’t be on the Internet to look at anymore!

From Calum!

10. Hi everyone,
    Technology has certainly changed over time, I’m bugging my mum for a phone but now that I’ve seen what you guys had to suffer I’m going to wait for a phew more years. I think that having our own iPads at school is very good and I am super grateful.
    From Bronte

11. Dear 3/4C
    My favourite technology I use is my iphone 5s, hp laptop, Xbox 360, samsung galaxy ace, pc computer, ipad and a nexus tablet. There all good because you get to play fun games on them.

On the pc computer I play this fantastic game called x plane 10 it’s my favourite game because it trains you to be a proper pilot.

From Bruno

• Dear Bruno,

When I was younger I had a Walkman, discman, I even had a pager age 18 which allowed me to receive messages through a telephone operator! At 19 I got my first mobile phone, a Nokia. There were no smartphones back then!

Love Mum xxx

12. Dear Miss Jordan and 3/4c,
    It is amazing how technology has changed over time. I’m only 9 years old and I already have an iPad, it is so unfair parents got there first phone when they were 16 years old and I was going tomask for a phone but I’m going to wait a couple more years

13. Dear 3/4C,
    Radio:
    The whole family used to sit around the radio for entertainment, listening to serials ( stories told parts at a time (like chapters in a book.). Some that we listened to were”Dad and Dave” and “The Air Adventures of Biggles,” “Biggles was more for children than grown ups.
    Granny’s dad liked to listen to the cricket matches being broadcast on the radio and when the broadcast came on “short wave “radio from England, Granny remembers that he would have to put his ear right up to the radio. There used to be a lot of”whooshing” sounds that came with the broadcast.

TV
    When TV first came to Australia in 1956, not a lot of people could afford to buy one, so people used to go and stand in front of shop windows to watch on the TV’s displayed. It was all in black and white.

Telegrams
    Telegrams were a quick way of sending messages. The person wanting to send a telegram would go to a post office and write out the message. The post office worker would tap out the message on a special instrument (I think they used more morse code) and the message would then be received at the post office near the address that the message was going to. It was typed out and then delivered by the telegram boy. This was how sad messages were sent to families during World War 1 and World War 2, telling families when someone was wounded, captured or killed.
    When Pa wanted to organise a date with Granny he would send a telegram to Granny, perhaps at home (Granny’s family didn’t have a telephone), or perhaps to Granny’s school where she taught. The telegram would say something like “See you tonight at 7.30pm.” The messages were always short, as you had to pay for each word.

Post
    The postman used to come twice a day and he would blow his whistle when he put the mail into the letterbox.

Telephones
    The only phones were big ones in homes and businesses (no mobiles or smart phones.) When Granny wanted to phone her sister who lived in country Victoria, she had to go to the GPO in the city (General Post Office) and book the call. When the telephonist had connected the call (via the telephonist at the other end) Granny would be sent to one of the phone booths, where she would pick up the phone and be able to speak to her sister. Can you imagine such a complicated way of speaking to someone only a couple of hundred kilometres away!

From Bronte’s Granny

• Dear Bronte’s gran

The whole class should be very good thankful for all your hard work you have put into this amazingly long comment to our blog. I have learned so much about technology from that comment and who it has changed. Thank you again for posting a comment.

From Banjo R

14. Dear 3/4C,
    I think it is really interesting to see what technology people used in the olden days. I’ve learnd a lot about the old technology.
    From Ruby

15. Dear miss Jordan
    I like to play on my IPad mini and so I can work
    at home I also have a computer and a Tv and a wii that we don’t bring out that that much
    From khy

16. Dear 3/4C
    I’m sure that you had a game console such as Atari or a big DVD player if your an adult. I have lots of consoles. This Year we going to do lots of iPad things! Well I think…
    From Will