Figurative Language in Poetry

This week, we started a poetry study in our writing lessons.

Students have participated in “poetry investigation” all week. This means we read lots of poems and analysed how they are written. Students observed the mood of different poems and the writing craft that is used.

We discussed what we sometimes see in poems. Here are some of our thoughts:

• Humour
  • Emotions or feelings
  • Rhyming
  • Rhythm
  • Repeated words or phrases
  • Descriptive language
  • Inferences
  • A message or moral
  • A twist

We also focussed on how figurative language is used in poetry. Today, we investigated six different kinds of figurative language:

• Alliteration
  • Metaphor
  • Simile
  • Hyperbole (hy-per-bol-ee)
  • Personification
  • Onomatopoeia (on-o-mat-o-pia)

Figurative Language

Some of these types of figurative language were new to the students and they enjoyed learning the new vocabulary. Learning how to say hyperbole and onomatopoeia was a challenge!

For their main task today, students worked in pairs to read a variety of poems. Their challenge was to identify which types of figurative language were present in each poem. Everyone did a fantastic job and it was great to listen to the conversations as they investigated the figurative language.

***

Write some examples of figurative language in your comment!

What have you learnt about poetry so far?

Do you have a favourite poem?

20 thoughts on “Figurative Language in Poetry

I really miss persuasive writing but we do have to move on to something different. I under stand. Now I don’t really miss persuasive and now I love poetry all thanks to you. You have been the best teacher since I moved here.

From Brilliant Bruno

2. The poem I love is The Listeners, by Walter de la Mare. Oh it’s so spooky,and it uses every part of figurative language. It paints so many pictures,and has a mystery at the heart of it. You can find it on the Internet.
    I wonder if you ever read it, you will remember it as I have all these years later. You really do such interesting work. Grandma Maggie

• Dear Maggie,
        My favourite figurative language would probably have to be alliteration because it is something that I find really easy!
        From Capable Calum!

I’m really liking us doing poetry it really expresses how I feel about writing poetry. All the things I can remember are Alliteration, Hyperbole, simile, metaphor, Onomatepia and personification. I’m looking forward to start writing our poetry texts and I bet they’re all good.
    From The Wonderful Will

Just like Bruno said I really miss persuading but it is awesome to continue the writing adventure and learn a bit of poetry language on the way.
    From Jasmine

5. Dear 3/4C
    I wonder what our writing is going to be like when we finish discovering things about our learning topic: Writing. All the things we’re learning about will be great, Miss Jordan chose the best topic to do all our writing about it will be so good.
    From The Wonderful Will

• Hi Will,
      As you know at the moment we are learning about poetry and the figurative languages.
      From Capable Calum!

6. Dear 3/4c and miss Jordan,
    I have enjoyed learning about figurative language and poetry, my favourite type of figurative language is hyperbole, I like it because I exaggerate a lot when I write.

From Magnificat Molly

7. Dear miss Jordan,
    I am exited that we are learning poetry, if you don’t know already poetry is my favourite piece of writing and writing is my favourite subject!
    From brilliant Bronte❤️

8. Dear 3/4C,
    I agree with all of you. Poetry is great! Here are the six different types of Figurative Language:
    Alliteration
    Hyperbole
    Metaphor
    Simile
    Personification
    Onamatipia
    Now I know every single one!
    From Charlotte.

9. Hi 3/4c,
    Last week we were learning about the 6 figurative languages.
    These are the following figurative language: Alliteration, Hyperbole, Metaphor, Simile, onomatopoeia and personification!
    They were hard words to pronounce!
    Hopefully you learnt them last week!
    From capable Calum

• Dear Capable Calum,
      What is your favourite figurative language? Mine is hyperbole if you have read my reply to Maggie. I like it because I like exaggerating.
      From Marvellous Monty

10. Hi 3/4C,
    I liked all six figurative language. I also liked figuring out what the figurative language was with capable Calum.
    From Monty

• Thanks Monty,
      For being my partner in the lesson. I hope you learnt about the 6 figurative languages and you know how to pronounce them and know the meaning of them. Hope you use them in your poetry.
      From capable Calum.

• Thanks Monty,
      From capable Calum.

• Hi 3/4c,
        How come my comment duplicated! Extremely weird?
        Miss Jordan do you know why my comment duplicated?
        From capable Calum

11. Dear Miss Jordan
    I am enjoying the poetry.I well give you a example for onomatopoeia:Boom Boom crash crash went the waves.I have learnt the all the different figurative language.I well tell them to you:alliteration,metaphor,simile,hyperbole,onomatopoeia and personification.I liked the poem about the coalman.I like doing poems si much!
    FROM KYAN AND KHY

It’s great that everyone in the class knows how to say hyperbole properly. It is such a comperlated word to say.
    From Jasmine