“First Australians” Incursion

Today the grade four students enjoyed a fantastic incursion!

This term, the grade four students have studied Australian history for our inquiry unit. We have specificially foccused on the indigenous Australians, the First Fleet and European settlement during our First Contacts topic.

To conclude a great term of inquiry learning, Cynda and Barry from The History Box visited to expand our learning even more. To start the session, we learnt about and discussed a variety of topics relating to the first Australians, including:

• Aboriginal history
  • Clans
  • Languages
  • Clothing
  • Art
  • Toys
  • Games
  • Symbols
  • Artefacts

Students then participated in three fun rotational activities. They were:

• Learning and playing the ngaka ngaka game. It’s similar to the popular game noughts and crosses, but it has a twist!
  • Designing and creating jewellery using shells.
  • Sculpting an animal using clay and native materials.

Here are some photos that show the fun we had!

***

What was your highlight from the First Australians incursion?

What did you learn?

6 thoughts on ““First Australians” Incursion

1. Dear Grade 4s,
    The incursion you had looked like lots of fun. I wish I could go. I would have loved to learn about the toys they had and the clothes they wore. I hope you had a good time,
    From Charlotte, (who’s on holiday in the U.K).

• Dear Charlotte,
      The incursion was only for grade fours so anyway you would still miss it so it didn’t really matter.
      From capable Calum.

2. Hi grade 4s,

A few weeks ago we had a class incursion with all of the grade 4s.
    Our incursion was about the first contacts and what they did and how they survived.

This incursion lasted for one hour and was ran by cindya and Barry. Something I found interesting was what abarigones and aboriginals are and how they are two completely different things.

How they made the things and what did they wear?
    Great question to ask, What the men wore usually a kangaroo skin coat and maybe a hat,
    The women would wear a bag to Carry there baby if it was newborn or an emu feather skirt!

From Capable Calum!

3. Hi Grade 4’s,
    As you know the First Australians incursion was on Friday, we had 3 activities. The first was a game called nakka-nakka, the second was bracelet making and the third was doll making out of clay. My favourite was nakka-nakka we had to colour rocks and play with them my partner was Banjo.
    From Wonderful Will

4. Dear 3/4c
    The incursion looked like so much fun and I can’t wait till me and the grade 3s will experience that next year. You probably learnt heaps about Australia from the people who ran the excursion.

From Banjo R