The 2016 Rio Olympics have now concluded.
It has been an action packed two weeks of Olympic magic with so many amazing moments in many different sporting events. The 3/4C students enjoyed discussing the various events and results each day in class.
Here is the final medal tally.
Here are some interesting facts about the Rio Olympics…
- The 2016 Rio Games are the first Olympics to be held in South America.
- There are 306 Olympic events across 28 sports.
- There are 6225 male athletes and 5137 female athletes competing at the Rio Games.
- Organisers prepared approximately 60,000 meals each day to feed the athletes.
- The Olympic Village dining hall runs the length of four Olympic swimming pools.
- The biggest team at the Rio Games was the USA (556 competitors), followed by host nation Brazil (469 competitors), Germany (424 competitors), Australia (421 competitors) and China (404 competitors).
- The smallest team at the Games is the South Pacific island nation of Tuvalu. Their sole competitor was Etimoni Timuani in the men’s 100m (athletics).
Below is a video that captures some of the moments of the 2016 Rio Olympic Games.