Volcanoes in Science!

Each Wednesday morning, we have science with Mrs Olsen.

We all look forward to our science lessons and it is great to see the students’ knowledge develop each week. Mrs Olsen has commented that she is impressed with the curiosity and love of learning displayed by the 3/4C students during science.

One student is selected as Mrs Olsen’s assistant each week…they dress up to look the part!

Today, we concluded our focus on “earth science”. We learnt about volcanoes. A volcano is defined as a mountain that opens downward to a pool of molten rock below the surface of the earth. When pressure builds up, eruptions occur. Gases and rock shoot up through the opening and spill over or fill the air with lava fragments.

The learning focus for today’s lesson:

• We are learning how volcanoes are formed.

The success criteria:

• I can describe the main ways volcanoes are formed.
  • I can make a model of a volcano.
  • I can research to find out more information about volcanoes.
  • I can make observations when doing research and making my model.

We learnt some key vocabulary about volcanoes in this lesson:

• Magma
  • Lava
  • Tectonic plates
  • Pumice rocks
  • Cinder cone
  • Dormant volcanoes
  • Active volcanoes
  • Composite volcanoes
  • Shield volcanoes
  • Obsidian

After discussing how volcanoes are formed, completing some research and watching a video, students worked in groups to make their own ‘mini volcanoes’ in the classroom.

The equipment required to make the volcanoes:

• Cup
  • Play dough
  • Plate
  • Vinegar
  • Bicarb soda
  • Food colouring

***

Thank you for all of the engaging science lessons so far, Mrs Olsen!

It is fantastic to build our science skills, knowledge and understanding. We are looking forward to learning about “forces” in our next science unit this term.

***

Can you define any of the key vocabulary from today’s science lesson?

What did you learn about volcanoes?

What science lesson have you enjoyed most so far this year?

What do you hope to learn in future science lessons?

7 thoughts on “Volcanoes in Science!

1. To Miss Jordan,
    When we did science I was so shocked that Mrs. Olsen chose the volcano experiment because firstly volcanoes are my favourite

Secondly we watched a video that showed us what makes a volcano a volcano

But the thing I personally thought was the most interesting part of all is we found out that a volcano isn’t just called volcano it has like several different kinds of names like:

Mount St. Helen, Kilauea, Mount Etna, Mauna Loe, Mount Pinatudo, Krakatoa and Mount Tambora just to name a few

• to ash

i would never have thought volcano’s were your favourite! and also really good job for remembering all those types of volcanoes!

from your classmate alice

2. Wow, this experiment sounds FUN!
    This would be a great activity to do again at home- Sophie’s siblings would love it too!

3. Hello Miss Jordan and class,

When I saw your volcano post I had to look because volcanoes are one of my interests. Over years I had collected samples from New Zealand and Hawaiian volcanic activity so I thought I would send your class some small samples of what I had collected. They have been posted to your school.

So you know more about the samples, I wrote a post on one of my blogs for you. I know Miss Jordan would remember some posts I wrote for her previous classes.

Here is the link to the post..
    http://rossmannellcomments.edublogs.org/2017/05/08/volcanic-mineral-samples-from-hawaii-new-zealand/

Ross Mannell
    Teacher (retired), N.S.W., Australia

4. Dear miss Jordan
    I really enjoyed making that amazing volcano it was so much fun I even got to poor the vinegar in and watch it with the best veiw and bam there it goes and in one second it was over red liquid started to burst everwere all down the sides and all over the plate it looked like the plate or cup wasn’t even there. I would really wanto learn how it happened s and what causes it .
    From Alby

5. Hi miss jordan
    I liked this lesson because I learnt lots of new fact but my favorite two were that most mountains are volcanoes and most volcanoes are at the metting of two tectonic plates and I learnt lots of new vocabulary like magma,pumice rocks,cinder cone and I also Learnt new volcanoes like dormat,compisite and shield volcanoes but I loved makeing the volcanoes and whatching them erupt.
    from dan!