This week, we have been learning all about money in our maths lessons!
Enthusiasm and engagement have been high in our classroom as the 3/4C students participated in a range of fun warm up games and real-life maths tasks related to money.
Our learning has focussed on:
- Adding totals of money using mental strategies
- Adding totals of money using calculators
- Calculating change
- Rounding prices to the nearest 5 cents.
- Estimating the prices of grocery items
- Creating a daily menu within a budget using online catalogues.
We have had lots of class discussions about money this week. One interesting fact is that Australia used to have 1 cent and 2 cent coins but they were eliminated from our currency system in 1992. The video below investigates whether the Australian 5 cent coin will eventually be phased out too.