All About Apostrophes!

In 3/4C, we have been learning about apostrophes.

An apostrophe is a type of punctuation and it fits in with the “Conventions” writing trait.

apostrophe

***

Apostrophes can be confusing. Here are some tips that might help. Thanks to Mrs Morris who created this slideshow.

***

After a big discussion about apostrophes where students brainstormed sentences that did and did not require apostrophes, they demonstrated their learning in a creative way on their iPads. Students made comics and had to feature apostrophes correctly. You can view some examples of the students’ work below.

***

A lot of people think any word that ends with an s needs an apostrophe. Remember, unless there is ownership in a sentence, plurals do not need an apostrophe.

What is wrong with this picture?

Image: ‘Sofia’s Pizza’s Calzoni’s Kebab’s Burger’s Pakora’s’
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34427470616@N01/2392092122
Found on flickrcc.net

***

Did our tips help you learn about apostrophes?

What is wrong with the picture above? Have you ever seen apostrophes used incorrectly before?

Can you make up a sentence that has an apostrophe before an s, after an s and in a contraction?

5 thoughts on “All About Apostrophes!

1. Hi 3/4c
    That picture is wrong because all those foods like pizza and burger is actually saying pizza is and burger is ,so that picture doen’t make sense at all it’s really weird that adults make apostrophe mistakes as well

From dan

2. Hi Miss Jordan and 3/4C,
    I loved doing the apostrophe slideshow!

There were lots of great sentences including one or even two words with one of the apostrophe rules.

They all looked great having a picture as a background.
    Here are three sentences, each one having one word with an apostrophe rule:
    1. ‘Twas the night before Christmas, and all was quiet……..
    2. The pencil’s colours varied a lot.
    3. Barwon Heads’ beaches are great.

Chelsea

• Hi Chelsea,
      When I read your comment I thought your sentences were great especially the first one which I think was ‘Twas the night before Christmas and all was quiet……..

I think we all learnt a lot during that class and I think everyone should have a class like that. ( especially Adults and people who don’t know a lot about them).

From Emma

3. Dear 3/4C
    I think that the tips helped lots

The thing that is wrong with the picture is that all the apostrophes are in the wrong place

The man’s mantion was big

from kaia