Two Truths and One Lie: A Culture Exchange

In 3/4 C we love learning about the world!

World globe

We have been working on a global project with Mrs Morris and our American blogging buddies to understand more about life on the other side of the world.

The project is called:Two Truths and One Lie

This is a collaboration between 3/4 C and Mrs Yollis’ third grade class in California, USA. We live nearly 13,000km apart!

Map showing distance Barwon Heads to LA
Mrs Morris and Miss Jordan connected with Mrs Yollis through blogging back in 2009. They have worked on many global projects together to help their students connect and learn.

In September, 3/4 C collaborated with Mrs Yollis’ class for International Dot Day.

About Two Truths and One Lie

This purpose of this project is to share some information about life in Australia and learn more about America. To add an element of fun, we made this project into a guessing game!

This is how Two Truths and One Lie worked:

1) 3/4 C students chose a category they were interested in, for example: Famous Australians, Australian Animals, Cricket, School Trends, etc. Most students worked with a partner.

Catergories on whiteboard

2) The students researched information about their category. We presented our ideas to the class for feedback before publishing.

Research

3) Students then created a Google slide on their iPads with three statements about their topic.

Researching

4) The students made two of their statements true, and one not true.

slide

The students sent their slide to Mrs Morris who added it to the class master slideshow.

Mrs Yollis’ class followed a similar process and shared their slideshow on their blog.

Presenting our Slideshow

Check out out slides below and see if you can guess which two statements are true and which one is not true.

Hint: You might need to do some research to confirm your thoughts.

CLICK HERE TO SEE MRS YOLLIS’ CLASS’ SLIDESHOW

Please leave a comment and tell us which statements you think are not true!

Remember to address your comment to the person/people who created the slide. You will find their names on the slide.

22 thoughts on “Two Truths and One Lie: A Culture Exchange

1. Dear Annabel and Eliza,

First of all, great drawing! You two are real artists!

I think that “habitat loss is the greatest threat to koalas” is a lie because, if koalas aren’t bears then what are they? And if “koalas front paws have two thumbs on each paw” is a lie, then, then how do they climb trees so well?

Sincerely, Charlie

2. @ Miss Jordan and students,

We were enthralled with your Google presentation about Australia. We have a lot to learn!

Today, we made a chart and people picked out slides that they want to find the lie. We will be working on our comments today and tomorrow. It is Tuesday right now in America.

Looking forward to commenting!

Mrs. Y♥llis and class
    California

3. Dear Murphy and Silas,

We loved your slideshow and we think you are terrific artists.

On slide four, I think the second sentence that you two wrote, ”The feathertail glider is a possum that can stick to glass” is a lie”. We looked it up on World Book Online, and it didn’t mention this. Are we correct? Is that a lie?

The truths are the first sentence and the last sentence.

Your blogging buddies,
    Ava N. and Mia M.

• Thanks for the complement Ava and Mia,

Me and murphy like your class’ slideshow

I wish I was in California. I looked at a photo of it and it looked amazing.
      From your bloging buddies
      silas and murphy.

From your bloging buddies
      silas and murphy.

4. :Dear Billie and Zali

I like the idea of you doing theme parks. I think the lie is Sea Worlds first major ride was the Vikings?

If I am wrong, please do not judge me because I do not know anything about Sea World.

Your blogging friend
    Dexter

• Dear Dexter,

Sorry, but you are unfortunately wrong, but nice try!

The lie was that Warner Bros movie world is the largest theme park because dreamworld is!

Better luck next time
      From your blogging buddies Billie and Zali.

5. Dear Eli,

Those were some great statements!

We think that the lie is that 50 percent of Australians speak Chinese because your language is English. We know that Australians say g’day because Sam’s dad says g’day and he is from Australia.

We have learned a lot just from playing Two Truths and One Lie! We never knew that Australians spoke 400 aboriginal languages.

Warmly,
    W♦ll and Sam

6. Dear Eli,

Those were some great statements!

Warmly,
    W♦ll and Sam

7. Dear Dan and Lachy,

Arjan and I think that your two truths and on lie were hard. After some research, we think we know the lie and the truth.

Arjan and I think that the lie is that cricket has twenty people on each team. There are actually only eleven people on each team.

That leaves us with the other two sports that must be true.

We both like the game soccer to play at school and home.

Arjan and J♦ke S.

8. Dear Ashli,

You made some tricky statements, so I had to think. I believe I have found the lie.

I think that the lie is that the capital of Australia is Darwin. It is Canberra. Am I correct? The truths are the second and the last.

Our country has a national capital too. It is Washington, D.C. Our capital is not a state, it is a district!

Sincerely,
    B♦n

9. Dear Ashli,

Warmly,
    B♦n

10. Dear Ally and Sonny,

We think that “Chris Hemsworth has been in 23 movies” is the lie. We looked at his website, and he has been in more movies than 23.

We think that ” Guy Sebastian has been in the Eurovision” is the truth. We think that “David Warner is a football player” is a true fact because why would you lie about that?

Sincerely,
    Noa

11. @ Alice and Daisy,

I enjoyed learning about Australia from your slideshow.

Your slide was about trends in Australia for kids. I think the lie is the first one about bottle flipping. It is possible that SOME teacher use bottle flipping, but not ALL.

If fidget spinners are popular in Australia, I must tell you, it is the same here. Lots of kids at our school used to bring them to class. However, they are not allowed anymore. The spinners were annoying to people who were trying to focus. Funny!

Slime was also once (and is still) a popular item. However, it is not as popular anymore. My favorite slime is slime that I make myself or with friends.

Friendly,
    Shane

12. @ Angus and Fred,

Great work on your slide!

At first, Hannah and I, (Jayden) were SUPER confused about the category in Cricket. We thought it was an insect! We then went online and got some information.

We believe that the lie is they play even when it’s raining. We believe that because the wind might blow the ball a different direction and it might damage the equipment.

We think that the two other statements are true because we searched it online.

Your Blogging Buddies,
    Hannah and Jayden

• Dear Hannah and Jayden

You are correct they do not play in the rain because it wrecks the pitch and ball it also can damage the bat.

Cricket is a insect but in some country’s they play a sport called cricket like Australia, England, India, Sri Lanka, west India and New Zealand ect.

From Angus and Fred

13. Dear Chelsy and Emma,

What an intriguing comment, my friend Jake and I had a hard time figuring the lie out, but I think we found the fib.

After researching we found that you are probably not going to be allowed to climb Uluru until October 2019. Did you know that Uluru is the worlds largest single stone? It stands 1,100 feet (355 meters).

Your blogging buddies,
    Jake and Micah

14. Dear Flynn and Jole,

We love your slideshow! I (Ethan) love to surf, but my partner can’t. He surfs in Malibu.

We went online and searched up Mick Fanning’s website, and it said he did get attacked by a shark. We saw the video of the event and it was terrifying! However, his board did not snap in half. He actually used the board to protect himself. Yes, Tyler Wright did win 2 world titles and Stephanie Gilmore is a six-time world champion.

★★★★★
    Your Blogging Buddies
    E★han and Jack☀

• Dear Ethan and Jack,

Contulations you got it all correct, Mick Fannings board didnt get snapped in half.

Tyler Wright did win 2 world titles. And Stephinnie Gilmour is a six time world Champion.

From Flynn and Joel.

15. Dear Chelsea and Emma,

My friend Micah and I researched that you are not prohibited from climbing the Ayers Rock. Citizens who own it would prefer tourist did not climb it. Therefore your statement about Uluru is a falsehood. Your other statements are true.

This is an intriguing project. I think this is really cool, and I had fun researching all the facts and all the fibs and learning about Australia. I hope you had a good time learning about the U.S.A.

Which slide was the hardest? How fun was it?

Your blogging buddy,
    Jake F.

16. Dear Georgia and Sophie,

I thought it was difficult to guess the two truths and one lie, but after some research, I think I found the fib.

The fib is that Mick Fanning is an AFL player is not true, he is actually a surfer.

The two truths are that Sia moved from Australia and is now is in the U.S.A. The next truth is that Cadel Evens was in the Tour de France he actually won 2011 Tour de France.

Tanner

17. Hi Tanner!
    You guessed it! The false statement was Mic Fanning is a player in the AFL. What is the name of your school? How old are you? What is it like in California? Have you ever been to Australia?
    Thanks so much for responding.
    Your blogging buddies, Georgia & Sophie