We have been learning about fractions in maths.
We know that a fraction is an equal part of a whole.
Our learning this week has focussed on:
- Understanding numerators and denominators
- Identifying and naming a variety of fractions
- Using and understanding a fraction wall
- Recognising equivalent fractions
- Using fractions in problem solving.
To introduce our fractions unit, students used play dough to make and label a variety of fractions.
Today, students enjoyed making paper “fraction pizzas” to demonstrate their learning. Students could choose to make a pizza in quarters, eighths or sixteenths. They then added a variety of toppings and labelled the fraction of each ingredient on the pizza.
We are looking forward to continuing our fractions knowledge next week. We will be focussing on:
- Putting fractions on a number line
- Comparing fractions and identifying fractions that are greater than/less than other fractions
- Identifying fractions in a collection of objects
- Understanding mixed fractions and improper fractions.
What have you learnt about fractions during our maths lessons this week?
How has your fractions knowledge improved?
Do you have a fractions tip for other students?